Jeter All-star Snubbed - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter All-star Snubbed

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter All-star Snubbed

Postby bd3521 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:49 pm

Anyone get a good chuckle to see Jeter in the All-Star game commericals and he didn't make it? See what tapeing them too far in advance does?

Kidding aside, Jeter is ranked #12 in ALL OF BASEBALL in VORP with a 37.3

He belongs in the game as usual.
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:54 pm

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=145415

I had a huge discussion about this already. You don't want to go through it again with people like david; its more frustrating and unsensible than you can imagine.

Have to respect Francona though for what he said. (He was only allowed to take one position player after the players voted and it had to be a Royal)

Francona: "Derek Jeter, if he's not an All-Star, there is no All-Star."

Props to Francona for that. Hopefully if someone gets hurt or can't go, Derek will get the invite.

As always, Derek has handled the snub with class. ;-D
Last edited by blankman on Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Box » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 pm

Looking at the raw batting numbers, Young and Tejada have better numbers than Jeter. I'm not necessarily saying he shouldnt be there, but I can see why he's not.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EnFuego » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:55 pm

He's been to the All-Star game too many times...I'm happy he didn't make it...but I am a Red Sox fan... :-D

Young is having a great season...
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:57 pm

He didn't get snubbed, Jeter simply wasn't as good as Tejada or Young.

Julio Lugo should be an all-star before Jeter.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:58 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:He didn't get snubbed, Jeter simply wasn't as good as Tejada or Young.

In comparison to Pods going, he certainly did.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:03 pm

blankman wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:He didn't get snubbed, Jeter simply wasn't as good as Tejada or Young.

Now this is true, but there are a few players that I would have selected over Jeter even in this case. Hideki Matsui is one of them...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:36 pm

blankman wrote:

Jeter is a better player than Pods, no doubt, but he doesn't bring anything that the AL doesn't already have. Pods improves the team. Could Jeter be there instead of Young? Sure, they're virtual washes, but I'd say the same thing about Pods over Young. You can say Jeter got snubbed, but from team standpoint it makes sense why Podsednik is the 32nd man and Jeter isn't.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:42 pm

davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:

Jeter is a better player than Pods, no doubt, but he doesn't bring anything that the AL doesn't already have. Pods improves the team. Could Jeter be there instead of Young? Sure, they're virtual washes, but I'd say the same thing about Pods over Young. You can say Jeter got snubbed, but from team standpoint it makes sense why Podsednik is the 32nd man and Jeter isn't.

Team standpoint? Since when is it supposed to be what helps the team more? Isn't it supposed to be the best players? It's not the Olympics.

For the record, I'm not saying Jeter should've been a shoe-in. I do believe he definately deserves to be in over Pods but I'm not heartbroken that he's not going, just more rest for him to come out strong in the 2nd half.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:

Team standpoint? Since when is it supposed to be what helps the team more? Isn't it supposed to be the best players? It's not the Olympics.

For the record, I'm not saying Jeter should've been a shoe-in. I do believe he definately deserves to be in over Pods but I'm not heartbroken that he's not going, just more rest for him to come out strong in the 2nd half.

There is no concrete definition of all-star so it's really up to personal interpretation and perspective. I know if the NL vote came down to a Pods-like player and a Jeter-like player I'd take the Pods-like player because it'd greater help my team acquire home-field advantage in the WS than with the Jeter-like player based upon the team-build.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers