Ichiro in the Home Run Derby? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ichiro in the Home Run Derby?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ichiro in the Home Run Derby?

Postby EnFuego » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:27 pm

This year's Home Run Derby consists of 8 players from different countries. They need someone from Japan...and I think (not sure, someone correct me) Hideki Matsui declined? And I was watching 1st and 10, and they were talking about Ichiro going to the Derby. I would love to see him in the Derby, how about you guys?
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rocky123 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:33 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing him there as long as it doesn't mess up his swing since I own him in one of my leagues. I think I heard somewhere that he is like Boggs in that he's a singles and doubles hitter who can hit it out during BP whenever he feels like it.
Finally The Rock has come back....to New York City!!
rocky123
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:36 pm

I'd love to see it. He's such an excellent hitter, the purest in baseball.

Matsui was never invited since he's not an All-Star, but if Ichiro declines, I'm sure Matsui would be their 2nd choice.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby EnFuego » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 pm

rocky123 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing him there as long as it doesn't mess up his swing since I own him in one of my leagues. I think I heard somewhere that he is like Boggs in that he's a singles and doubles hitter who can hit it out during BP whenever he feels like it.

Yeah, I heard he's a machine in BP.
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Box » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:37 pm

rocky123 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing him there as long as it doesn't mess up his swing since I own him in one of my leagues. I think I heard somewhere that he is like Boggs in that he's a singles and doubles hitter who can hit it out during BP whenever he feels like it.

They mentioned something about it on Sportscenter this morning, saying that Hargrove (I think) told the media that if Ichiro was in the Derby than he would win it and that he absolutely crushes balls in BP.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bd3521 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:40 pm

Ichiro is my pick to win it all. He hits homers off BP's pitchers like Aaron Boone in game 7. o wait
[url]http://www.footballguys.com/05vbdrevisited.htm[/url]
bd3521
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theskaboss » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:45 pm

Ichiros not in, I heard they were doing Choi from Korea instead...maybe I totally misinterpreted it though... :-?
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Half Massed » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:46 pm

i wouldn't be surprised to see ichiro go far in it. he could be a home run hitter if he wanted to. it's always funny to see baseball games because they have to give ichiro good power because he has it, but while in real life he rarely utilizes it, he seems to do so a lot in the games. he ends up with like 15 HRs in mid-june and those kind of things.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:04 pm

I don't have it in front of me right now, but I read a quote from Ichiro once where he basically said that he could be a power hitter but his BA would suffer too badly, so he doesn't.

Man, it must be fun to be so awesome that you can choose how you want to go about being the greatest pure hitter of our generation.

:-°
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:10 pm

I always thought Gwynn would win the derby if he was in it...same applies to Boggs and Ichiro. I'd love to see it ;-D .
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers