Buy Low: Kelvim Escobar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Buy Low: Kelvim Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buy Low: Kelvim Escobar

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:37 pm

I've got him stashed on my DL right now even though he should only be able to pitch for like the last month of the season or so. He could be a key guy during playoff time. I pulled up his game log from last year to check it out, and down the stretch in August and September he had a couple of shaky starts, but overall was pretty good in shutting down the Yankees, Twins, Baltimore, and Texas twice.

I'd recommend going for him cheap if you can or even pick him up if he's been dropped, but I think he'll work out pretty well towards the end of the year. Just thought I'd throw this out here to gather some opinions on him. Anyone disagree?
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:38 pm

I'm stashing him on my DL, but I'm afraid I'm just not as optimistic as you for the remainder of this season.

I'm keeping him primarily because he has value in a keeper league.

If he comes back healthy, I bet he finishes with a sub 3 era with a tons of ks in the last month, but that is all pending on whether he is healthy or not.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby zhutou » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:41 pm

i think he's a lost cause this year. his next sesaon will be huge though.
zhutou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EnFuego » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Yeah, he might be helpful for the playoffs.
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dorje3 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:24 pm

I didn't know he had a chance of comming back this year. If he does, then you have a great point.

zhutou wrote:i think he's a lost cause this year. his next sesaon will be huge though.

I thought he was going to be the steal of the draft THIS year. I'm not so sure I will be so high on him next year, unless of course, he comes back to pitch well at the end of the season.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:20 am

I'm not sure you can correlate a strong finish last season into a strong finish this September. Guy's got great tools, but he'll be coming off 2+ months of inactivity — which often makes for a craps shoot.
But good luck in any case.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Registered_Guest » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:41 am

I'd look toward next year with him. He'll need time to build up stamina again. I'm guessing they won't push him too hard until they get near the playoffs.

I've jumped on the Escobar bandwagon the last 2 seasons. He does seem to be underrated. He's one of the few AL starters I'd actually draft. Nearly always go NL starters.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:00 am

I was bullish on Escobar at the start of the season, but he's shown me NOTHING this year that leads me to believe he'll have any value this year. If you've got a free DL slot, there's no harm in keeping him, but I wouldn't advise going out and getting him in the hopes he has a good final month. That's just wishful thinking IMO.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:08 am

Secret Avatar wrote:I was bullish on Escobar at the start of the season, but he's shown me NOTHING this year that leads me to believe he'll have any value this year. If you've got a free DL slot, there's no harm in keeping him, but I wouldn't advise going out and getting him in the hopes he has a good final month. That's just wishful thinking IMO.

agree. if you have escobar and have a DL spot...then you can keep him...but i really wouldn't go after the guy...i'm not even sure i'd go after him in the beginning of the season...i just don't think he can pitch well consistently...he can be great one day and get rocked the next outing...sometimes with a pitcher like that the number of good outings increase as the years go by, but escobar has been in the big leagues since 1997.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby kcs261 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:41 pm

Even if he's ready by September, I would think that he would need some rehab starts to stretch out his arm and get rid of the cobwebs. So...I'm not sure I'd be jumping to grab him.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers