Belisle is OFFICIALLY the new Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Belisle is OFFICIALLY the new Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:51 pm

mamorris wrote:Yeah, you got the pronunciation right, but I think it's much cooler if you say it like Snoop would ("Belizzle").

As I said before, He's Snoop's favourite Red. ;-D :-b
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ajax » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:07 pm

cordscords wrote:He's a former starter moving into a closing gig. History tells me that makes for a great closer :-D

The history that we remember tells us that a starter moving into a closing gig will make a great closer.

I think we're far more likely to remember the success stories than the failures.

I"m guessing that the SP-to-closer success examples (Eckersley, Righetti, Isringhausen, Smoltz, Gagne..etc.) are far outnumbered by the cases that didn't work out.

After all, if going from being a SP to being a closer was really that easy, no MLB team would ever sign a closer as a FA, or trade for one...They'd just take one of their crappy starters, and make him a closer.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EnFuego » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:10 pm

go_jays_go wrote:I think this kid will be decent. I'm glad he was officially named closer because I picked him up in most of my leagues.

But I was wondering one thing, How do you pronounce his last name?

Does it sound like Be-LIE-ul?

Remember what happened with Ryan Wagner... :-t
EnFuego
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CPHFighter1 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:09 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:I waited on Dempster, MacDOugal, Turnbow and all the other out of nowhere closers because the "sucked" according you many people on this board. Screw that, I've already added this guy. He can't be any worse than my current closers (Bruney and Ty Walker)

Don't blame the boards for your misfortune. Its your team, not the Cafe's. Glad to see you're making some decisions on your own now. The Cafe provides excellent analysis, but you have to use your own judgement as well. That being said, I'll go on record saying its a nice move to add Belilse.
CPHFighter1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:48 pm

ravenmad22 wrote:I waited on Dempster, MacDOugal, Turnbow and all the other out of nowhere closers because the "sucked" according you many people on this board. Screw that, I've already added this guy. He can't be any worse than my current closers (Bruney and Ty Walker)

You should've drafted a closer who had some sort of security, unless of course you got hit with the Gagne/Dotel injury bug or something. MacDougal, I still wouldn't have in a league with less than 12 teams, and there were plenty of reasons to have reservations about both Turnbow and Dempster back when they were announced as Closers. Hindsight is 20/20. Unless I was super desperate for any save I could muster, I wouldn't run out and get Belisle right now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 836)

Postby ravenmad22 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:18 pm

CPHFighter1 wrote:

Don't blame the boards for your misfortune. Its your team, not the Cafe's. Glad to see you're making some decisions on your own now. The Cafe provides excellent analysis, but you have to use your own judgement as well. That being said, I'll go on record saying its a nice move to add Belilse.

In no way am I blaming this board for not getting those guys. What I should have said is I'm not going to pass on a guy who is getting an opportunity just because he has not had great #'s in the past.

Just for the sake of personal pride, my decisions are never made by this board, however, I take into account the comments of the members when making personnel decisions.

By the way, my closers to start the season were BJ Ryan (who I still have), Benitez (ouch), Mike Adams (ouch), Joe Borowski (ouch) and Lyon (ouch). So yes, I have a 2/10 in saves and am desperate. I'll take Belisle and any other player who has been named closer at this point.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trojan Pony » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:15 am

You guys think I should hold on to Weathers in case this kid is a bust like Ryan Wagner? I'd imagine that's who would get most of the opportunities by default if all else fails. Right?
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cordscords » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:22 am

He's getting the save opp right now. Show us what your made of!
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:23 am

cordscords wrote:He's getting the save opp right now. Show us what your made of!

Mercker is out there.. :-?

Probably just a lefty/lefty matchup..(hopefully) :-[
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

f

Postby joeg24 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:24 am

Man he resmbles Merker a lot.....
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers