Weird choice from LaRussa.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Weird choice from LaRussa..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weird choice from LaRussa..

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:01 pm

Alright here's the scenario.

It's the top of the 9th, Cards and Diamondbacks are tied 1-1. Vargas and Marquis are pitching awesome. So first guy up is John Mabry. He crushes a single into left. So it's 1 on 0 out. Next batter is Nunez, and he sacrifices to the catcher to advance Mabry to 2nd. After Nunez it was Luna and he grounded out to 2nd advancing Mabry to 3rd.

Heres where it gets interesting. It's Marquis' spot in the order right now and he's got bench hitters that can PH for Marquis. Nope, LaRussa keeps Marquis to bat. Guess what, he struck out. He leaves Mabry stranded on 3rd where they could have scored and stole a game from Arizona on the road.

So we think that Marquis is gonna go for the 9th inning to pitch. Wrong again, he puts Ray King on the mound, leadoff hitter is Luis Gonzalez..and he kills a 2-2 pitch into right.

Now, what do you think of this decision? I think it's odd, but i'm not going to judge LaRussa's managerial skills because he's one of the best in the game. :-?

So guys, tell me what you think?
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:05 pm

well i know marquis is good with the bat. but if he was going to let him bat i would thinkhe would let him pitch :-?
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Box » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:05 pm

I dunno, seems about as clear-cut PH situation as you can get. Weird.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:09 pm

I didn't watch the game but Marquis is hitting .356. Tony has used him as a pinch hitter already this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:10 pm

I can't figure LaRussa out sometimes.

There are guys on that bench who's sole job is to pitch hit in circumstances like that.

Leaving Marquis in to sacrifice is fine but not to try to drive in the winning run in the ninth inning with two outs. :-t
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:12 pm

Pretty strange......even if he is batting well there has to be a guy on the bench who's better. :-t

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby go_jays_go » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:14 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I didn't watch the game but Marquis is hitting .356. Tony has used him as a pinch hitter already this year.

So your saying you would rather have Marquis hitting then Grudzielanek or Taguchi? Taguchi has practically been a PH for his whole career. He's not good enough to be a starter, but he can PH for the PITCHER nonetheless.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:29 pm

go_jays_go wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I didn't watch the game but Marquis is hitting .356. Tony has used him as a pinch hitter already this year.

So your saying you would rather have Marquis hitting then Grudzielanek or Taguchi? Taguchi has practically been a PH for his whole career. He's not good enough to be a starter, but he can PH for the PITCHER nonetheless.
If it was up to me I would have PH but Tony is hard to understand sometimes. Maybe he didn't like the matchup with Taguchi. Grudz has been ice cold at the plate.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:29 pm

tony does lots of weird things that i will never understand. it vexes me but i dont usually get too upset about it. however, there are some people so miffed by tony that they will occasionally fly a banner over busch or a spring training game that reads 'save the cardinals, fire tony larussa.'
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby cordscords » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 pm

LaRussa probably went the little league strategy.

The Pitcher: "I knew he was hitting for a sick average, but in a limited # of at bats. He can really hit? Ah crap"

Marquis: "That BA aint a piece of garbage. It's legite, I'm gonna smack this one up the middle!"
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers