Classic Johnny Damon quote - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Classic Johnny Damon quote

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Box » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:13 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:According to Rick Reilly's article in SI this week Johnny Damon's dad is a Vietnam Vet and his mom is a Thai woman. Is it wrong for me to make assumptions as to the nature of his birth and therefore heckle him on that basis?

Yes. :-D

Decsisions like that you really need to defer to the manager, though. I think its a PR move more than anything....I just don't see the the point in bringing him back now rather than keep him in Pawtucket for another couple starts.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:15 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:According to Rick Reilly's article in SI this week Johnny Damon's dad is a Vietnam Vet and his mom is a Thai woman. Is it wrong for me to make assumptions as to the nature of his birth and therefore heckle him on that basis?

Yeah, pretty much.

Don't forget what you told me in your PM Atrophying - thinking before typing is a good thing. May I suggest that you first write out your posts and think about them and if they still seem like a good idea an hour later, then post it.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:15 am

Is that a joke? That would be very wrong, yes.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby This is the year » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:17 am

:-t
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 am

This is the year wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:The guy needs to start in the minors, build up his arm strength, and come back as a starter. I don't see how throwing him in the bullpen is going to help him ramp back up to being a starter. It's not like they can put him out there for one, and then two, and then three, and then four, and then five innings every four or five days. It's not going to work in game situations. Schilling is also a guy that needs like 60 pitches to warm up, so how that's going to work coming out of the pen is beyond me.

I'm sorry, but this is a very stupid idea. I understand they have bullpen issues, but this is not the way to solve them.

BP I had the same initial thoughts as you, but we have to realize that there is a lot that Theo, the Trio, Francona, and Schilling know about this that we do not. I'm sure they wouldn't push Schilling into a disadvantageous position as a knee-jerk reaction to a crappy bullpen.

Also, I'm sick of people blasting Francona for this move -- this is NOT his decision. If anybody, blame Schilling for wanting to help the team at a theoretical detriment to his ankle, or blame Theo for listening to him. I'm sure Tito wasn't the deciding factor in this matter.

I do understand this, and I don't in any way blame Francona. I live in Phoenix, so the guys here know and talk about Curt, and from what they said yesterday he was approached about it, and went so far as to call guys like Smoltz and Gagne to see how they adapted to the switch so he could find out how to best help his team.

I see it as an issue because, like I said earlier, if someone hits a go-ahead HR in the 8th, he's not a guy that can warm up on 10 pitches and come in to pitch the 9th. I also see it as being an issue IF the whole plan is for him to come back as a starter at some point. I just don't see how coming out of the bullpen for an inning or two every few days is going to help him build the arm strength to allow him to throw 120 pitches in a start.

If this is really a plan to permanently move him to the bullpen, fine. If the end goal is to get him ready to go back to the rotation, I just don't see how it's going to work.

It will be interesting in any case.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby AT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:21 am

It was a joke. I would never insult our future centerfielder.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:30 am

Yeah that was funny, I saw it on sportscenter.

Personally, as a Yankee fan, I'm happier with Schilling closing than I am starting. When he's a starting pitcher, he can shut your team down for 6, 7 or 8 innings. In order to get Schilling in the game as the closer, you need to rely on somebody else like Arroyo or Wade Miller to shut you down.

I hope Schilling takes the closer job over for good and doesn't start anymore. I still think he'd be great as a closer, but again, you need quality starts to get your closer in the game.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:45 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Yeah that was funny, I saw it on sportscenter.

Personally, as a Yankee fan, I'm happier with Schilling closing than I am starting. When he's a starting pitcher, he can shut your team down for 6, 7 or 8 innings. In order to get Schilling in the game as the closer, you need to rely on somebody else like Arroyo or Wade Miller to shut you down.

I hope Schilling takes the closer job over for good and doesn't start anymore. I still think he'd be great as a closer, but again, you need quality starts to get your closer in the game.

the yanks get the ball to mo on a consistent basis dont they? :-D
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:49 am

uucrook3d wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Yeah that was funny, I saw it on sportscenter.

the yanks get the ball to mo on a consistent basis dont they? :-D

Well we can't all match the greatness of the Yankees... :-) ;-7
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby uucrook3d » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:53 am

lol.... well we can try :-B
uucrook3d
Major League Manager