Classic Johnny Damon quote - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Classic Johnny Damon quote

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Classic Johnny Damon quote

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:44 am

Johnny Damon clarified his views on Curt Schilling after an apparent meeting with manager Terry Francona.

''I pretty much got called into [Francona's office] and got called a dumb ass,'' Damon said. ''He told me to keep my mouth shut. Our team is a much better team if Schilling is our ace pitcher. I'm not going to back down from that. I want Schilling as our No. 1 starter.''

Jul. 8 - 7:52 am et

Source: Providence Journal
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:51 am

That's great. ;-D :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Irish » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:56 am

I agree with Francona on this one, and honestly like Francona better. He should be the one making the decisions.

Johnny should stick to writing crappy books, going on queer eye, and sticking to his self promotion tour. ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:57 am

Way to go...the first Sox player to notice what Francona is doing is stupid. ;-D

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Transmogrifier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:59 am

LooseCannon wrote:Way to go...the first Sox player to notice what Francona is doing is stupid. ;-D

If Schilling cannot start, how is this stupid?
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Irish » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:01 am

Transmogrifier wrote:
LooseCannon wrote:Way to go...the first Sox player to notice what Francona is doing is stupid. ;-D

If Schilling cannot start, how is this stupid?

Exactly, Franocona said already this move won't be permanent, but just to get him some innings that won't wear down his ankle. You shouldn't criticize the manager that just won a world series. This move is just like starting Schilling on a low pitch coun essentially.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:07 am

The guy needs to start in the minors, build up his arm strength, and come back as a starter. I don't see how throwing him in the bullpen is going to help him ramp back up to being a starter. It's not like they can put him out there for one, and then two, and then three, and then four, and then five innings every four or five days. It's not going to work in game situations. Schilling is also a guy that needs like 60 pitches to warm up, so how that's going to work coming out of the pen is beyond me.

I'm sorry, but this is a very stupid idea. I understand they have bullpen issues, but this is not the way to solve them.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby AT » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:10 am

According to Rick Reilly's article in SI this week Johnny Damon's dad is a Vietnam Vet and his mom is a Thai woman. Is it wrong for me to make assumptions as to the nature of his birth and therefore heckle him on that basis?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby This is the year » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 am

Big Pimpin wrote:The guy needs to start in the minors, build up his arm strength, and come back as a starter. I don't see how throwing him in the bullpen is going to help him ramp back up to being a starter. It's not like they can put him out there for one, and then two, and then three, and then four, and then five innings every four or five days. It's not going to work in game situations. Schilling is also a guy that needs like 60 pitches to warm up, so how that's going to work coming out of the pen is beyond me.

I'm sorry, but this is a very stupid idea. I understand they have bullpen issues, but this is not the way to solve them.

BP I had the same initial thoughts as you, but we have to realize that there is a lot that Theo, the Trio, Francona, and Schilling know about this that we do not. I'm sure they wouldn't push Schilling into a disadvantageous position as a knee-jerk reaction to a crappy bullpen.

Also, I'm sick of people blasting Francona for this move -- this is NOT his decision. If anybody, blame Schilling for wanting to help the team at a theoretical detriment to his ankle, or blame Theo for listening to him. I'm sure Tito wasn't the deciding factor in this matter.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Irish » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:12 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:According to Rick Reilly's article in SI this week Johnny Damon's dad is a Vietnam Vet and his mom is a Thai woman. Is it wrong for me to make assumptions as to the nature of his birth and therefore heckle him on that basis?

Even if the presumption is correct, no reason to heckle him for it. Don't you know they love you long time? ;-D
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers