Baseball axed from 2012 Olympics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball axed from 2012 Olympics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:04 am

LooseCannon wrote:Why couldn't they cut out that dumb canadian sport where they roll some plastic thing down the ice and two people sweep in front of it..now that is a worthless sport.

Don't mess with my curling, yo! I'd rather they cut out Ice Dancing than curling. At least it's funny to watch as opposed to mind-numbing.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rkiivs » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:06 pm

Actually, I'm a bit optimistic (though cautiously so) that this will not adversly effect baseball's popularity on the international horizon.

In fact, it may even promote popularity when you consider that the World Baseball Classic next year can provide the need for an international tournament. There are 112 nations with recognized baseball federations and I doubt this announcement will cause them all to suddenly stop playing. It probably hurts softball's popularity more than baseball's.

Finally, these two sports are still eligible for inclusion in the 2016 games.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:34 pm

I'm not really a big fan of the Olympics anymore at all, but I know if they had baseball in it, it would've atleast sparked interest in me to watch everything else. Since the basketball team will probably be awful again (not like I watched them last year anyway), there won't really be anything else to root for other than swimming, atleast where you're familiar with the athlete's names.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:04 pm

They are a little screwed up at the IOC.

I heard that for the right bribe Jacques Rogge would make Quiddich an official Olympic event.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby LooseCannon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:12 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:They are a little screwed up at the IOC.

I heard that for the right bribe Jacques Rogge would make Quiddich an official Olympic event.

;-D LOL

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:17 pm

Apparently the IOC delegates voted on it, and of the 28 sports only baseball and softball missed the cut. I can understand it (best players don't go, appeal limited to maybe a dozen or so countries) but, nonetheless, it's frustrating to lose this chance to see some live ball.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Arlo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:34 pm

Wow. It's been a while since any sport got the axe...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:42 pm

BOOOOO :-t horrible horrible horrible. why cant they get rid of like modern pentathalon (nobody watches) or synchronized swimming (nobody cares about). I mean friggin trampoline is a damn olympic sport. this sucks :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:48 pm

LooseCannon wrote:That really sucks...............I can see why though, The Americans seem to win baseball and softball ALOT in the olympics and the other countries are trying to lower our medal count :-t

they US didn't even make it to the olympics in baseball last year.

this is very disappointing, but i understand...i guess...baseball just isn't a very popular outside north america and some countries in asia and latin america...which leaves us europe for the most part. i can see a sport like....beach soccer being more popular than baseball and softball in the olympics.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby chris8 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:08 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:

this is very disappointing, but i understand...i guess...baseball just isn't a very popular outside north america and some countries in asia and latin america...which leaves us europe for the most part. i can see a sport like....beach soccer being more popular than baseball and softball in the olympics.

I know what you're saying, but it shouldn't be about popularity. Rogge himself said:

Rogge urged the 100-plus members to vote strictly on the technical merits of the sports and not for subjective, political or personal reasons.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

Sadly, I guess a lot of IOC members didn't follow his lead - baseball would surely stay in if it was purely about technical merit.

The saddest thing from my point of view (and it is selfish, I admit), is that the UK finally had the opportunity to have a purpose-built stadium for baseball, which would surely have helped increase the game's popularity in this country. There are already at least 45 teams who play in the UK's baseball leagues, and I am sure that more young people would have been inspired to take up the game (or softball for that matter) if they had seen it at the London Olympics.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk