Eddie Guardado Crisis Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eddie Guardado Crisis Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Box » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:30 am

I agree with punching the guy in the face who posted the message. Secondly, its buyer beware on ALL trades, and not anyone else's responsibility to influence or inform trading partners. Eddie could very well get traded to a contender as a closer or he could end up staying put, you never know. Hold onto him if no one is gutsy enough to deal.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Boston123 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:53 am

Eddie:

From what I understand his contract is incentive based. For that reason, he has no-trade clauses to about 11 teams, all teams with "solidified closers". Red Sox, Yankees, etc.

Of couse if the teams he is to be traded to tells him he would be the #1 closer, that could change. Then again, his value would go up too.
Boston123
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm

Here in Seattle, in one of the local papers, Guardado's agent explained that he put the no-trade clause in the contract and that Eddie didn't request it and that Eddie would be willing to do what's best for himself and the team. If the Mariners can get something that would be beneficial to their future, Eddie would gladly waive his no-trade clause (at least that's the spin--making Eddie seem like a great guy who is concerned about the M's getting better in the future, even if he's not part of that future). Rumors abound, but the Seattle papers are already figuring him for being gone by the end of the month.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Half Massed » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:17 pm

man i had to team him with foulke in two of my leagues... i just hope he's closing somewhere by august 1st.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:45 pm

Well the M's refused to cut bait last season with guys like Moyer and Boone when they were hopelessly buried. Many thought they both should have been dealt.
You wonder now if they expect too much in return on these sort of cut bait deadline deals.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Iconoclastic » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:59 pm

From now on you are obligated to post any injury or trade rumor related news about any player on the team of the guy who posted that crap. And sully that owner's reputation any way you can. What a douchebag.
[b]Bold Predictions:[/b]

Grady Sizemore will have more value than Jason Bay regardless of draft position

Aramis Ramirez in 155 G will hit over .300 40 HR 110 RBIs

Brian McCann will have more value than Jorge Posada regardless of draft position
Iconoclastic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:04 pm

What is the big deal here? Why get upset about a guy pointing out what is public knowledge and should be checked before any deal goes down anyway? Yeah the guy may be a bit over the top with the attitude to make a point of it, but like you really thought you were going to snow someone? Maybe, but most leagues with knowledge players are not going to fall for this at this time of the year. Everyone knows the deadline is 3+ weeks away and that players may be moving.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cubsfan18 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:18 am

Successfully manipulating the politics between owners is just as important a factor in winning fantasy baseball leagues as everything else. If releasing negative press against a competitor's players can hamper his trading efforts, I say go for it.

Thank you very much. I happen to be in this manager's league, and I am in fact the manager that posted the stuff. You wanna know why? Because he did the same thing to me when I trade to trade Armando Benitez earlier this season. He did the exact same thing to me making a big post and everything. I am meerly returning the favor to him. Secondly, I'd like to quote another user:

From now on you are obligated to post any injury or trade rumor related news about any player on the team of the guy who posted that crap. And sully that owner's reputation any way you can. What a douchebag.

I doubt you even know what a douchebag is, but if it sounds cool, why not use it, eh? Anyway, it's pretty childish to use it like this in a situation that doesn't even apply.

Just wanted to clarify this that the other owner was the one who in fact started out this "injury posting thing" against my team. Frankly, I don't see a problem with what he did or what I'm doing, but I felt I needed to return him the favor in this case.

I'm out...
cubsfan18
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At U.S. Cellular cheering for whatever team the White Sox are playing - it doesn't matter which.

DO NOT TRADE FOR GUARDADO

Postby gabenterprises » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:21 am

Putting the statement "Do not trade for Guardado" on the post board is unnecessary. Let people draw their own conclusions. If you put it in those terms it can't help but be seen as personal and annoying. If the Guardado owner posted "Do not trade for Benitez" before, then you could post "do not trade for Guardado" but if he just put up news of an injury, its babyish to post "Do not trade for Guardado" to get back at someone for posting news.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseballnewb » Sun Jul 10, 2005 9:35 am

Nothing wrong at all with what he did, sorry but anytime you can stop a potential bad trade you do it. There is going to be someone in the league that isn't aware that he may not have a closers job within a month and fleecing that guy just hurts the rest of the league, why shouldn't they be able to protect themselves from it.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers