Is a run scoring on a wild pitch an ER? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is a run scoring on a wild pitch an ER?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is a run scoring on a wild pitch an ER?

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:22 pm

If a runner scores from third on a wild pitch, is that an earned run?

If a runner advances to second from first on a wild pitch, and then scores on a single, is that an ER?

Thanks
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Yeah i'm pretty sure it is. It wasn't anyone else's error or fault, it was the pitcher throwing wild. So it is charged as an ER for both ways.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:29 pm

Yes, but if the pitcher commits an actual error -- such as a botched throw -- that allows a runner to score, that's his own fault too but I'm almost positive that he wouldn't be charged with an ER.

Anyway, it happened to Millwood tonight against the Yanks. First Giambi hits a BS homer that was actually caught against the wall that then popped UP and OVER the fence (it would have hit the wall otherwise) and then he allows a run to score on a wild pitch that also advances a runner, and then he scores. It ain't his night.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:35 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:Yes, but if the pitcher commits an actual error -- such as a botched throw -- that allows a runner to score, that's his own fault too but I'm almost positive that he wouldn't be charged with an ER.

Anyway, it happened to Millwood tonight against the Yanks. First Giambi hits a BS homer that was actually caught against the wall that then popped UP and OVER the fence (it would have hit the wall otherwise) and then he allows a run to score on a wild pitch that also advances a runner, and then he scores. It ain't his night.

Yeah it ain't his night. He's facing the Yanks offence. :-°

But I'm almost positive it's the pitchers ER if it's a passed ball. It happened to Burnett yesterday. It's the pitchers fault and it was his error.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:42 pm

Actually, a passed ball would be unearned if the runner would not have advanced anyway. A passed ball is charged as an error to the catcher. A wild pitch is totally different and is charged to the pitcher. It would result in an earned run, since there is no error charged on a wild pitch. An error on the pitcher on an errant throw or other fielding mistake can result in an unearned run, though.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:54 pm

Yeah, it just ain't Millwood's night. Or mine either. Ramon Hernandez has been sitting on my DL and wasn't supposed to start until TOMORROW at the earliest. Instead, he starts tonight (too late to add him to my C slot) and is 1-3 with 2 RBIs so far.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:11 pm

A wild pitch is the pitcher's own fault and the result of the play is consider earned.

A passed ball is not an error on the catcher and not scored as such. However, for the purposes of determining earned vs unearned runs for the pitcher, it is treated as an error.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:49 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:A wild pitch is the pitcher's own fault and the result of the play is consider earned.

A passed ball is not an error on the catcher and not scored as such. However, for the purposes of determining earned vs unearned runs for the pitcher, it is treated as an error.

You're right; a passed ball is not scored an error on the catcher. Don't know why I thought that.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby dannahann » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm

Runs scored due to wild pitches are earned per Baseball Almanac:

10.18 An earned run is a run for which the pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the inning should be reconstructed without the errors (which include catcher's interference) and passed balls, and the benefit of the doubt should always be given to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls.

(a) An earned run shall be charged every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder's choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike which permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Jagfan21 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:38 am

A wild pitch is the pitcher's own fault and the result of the play is consider earned.

;-D

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers