Hanley Ramirez will be traded - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Boston Red Sox

Hanley Ramirez will be traded

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanley Ramirez will be traded

Postby kwryan12 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:12 pm

9. SS Hanley Ramirez, 21, Boston Red Sox
.267-2-23-40-16 in Double-A

Ramirez, the Red Sox's top position prospect, has been a disappointment this season. The Dominican was expected to be a candidate to take over in center field (for free-agent-to-be Johnny Damon) or second base (for whiff king and defensive liability Mark Bellhorn). The numbers hardly look promising enough. There is still hope for one of the better prospects in baseball, though. Remember Rickie Weeks' poor Double-A numbers? The Red Sox are more likely to deal Ramirez for postseason help than slot him on their roster down the stretch. We don't expect him to help anything but the depth on keeper-league rosters this season. Those that own him right now (due to East Coast hype) are better off considering one of the above talents.
kwryan12
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nomar4prez » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:04 pm

If they trade him, they better get a pretty damn good player. With his speed, he could be an absolute terror on the bases. He's only 21, and his ceiling is extremely high. I think they'll deal Shoppach way before they'll deal Ramirez. The 2b we have in AAA might also come up and play 2b if Bellhorn struggles down the stretch.

Edit- Oh, and they won't just trade him for some "postseason help." If they trade him, they'll get a major league ready pitcher/player who will be in their future plans. This Red Sox management isn't as shortsighted as the others have been.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bselig » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:45 pm

Ramirez projects to be a Renteria style player (at best) - a solid all-round hitter and very good defender but not a player that will blow you away with his major league ops. He's highly tradeable and not a must-hold player ala Delmon Young. I think the Sox would be best off holding up on moving Ramirez until he has a good stretch in the minors. The White Sox got great value for Justin Reed - who projects, at best, as an above average #2 hitter - when they received Freddy Garcia for him. If Ramirez explodes in the minors next season the Red Sox could get similar value.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:48 pm

What are they going to get for him though?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby YanksHater213 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:35 pm

I dont think we will deal him. Theo has essentially committed to youth, and is trying to become good from the inside. He has committed to keeping prospects. The worst deal though was when he got rid of Murton in the Nomar deal, I think that is the one that really caught him. Since then he has guys like Pedroia, Sanchez, Delcarmen, Ramirez, Papelbon, Lester, Shoppach (who is I think the only one who will get dealt out of these guys since Varitek is locked up for 4 years, and Mirabelli being more than capable of backing up). But I dont think these guys will be going anywhere soon. I also think you will find Pedrioa, Papelbon, and possibly Delcarmen on the roster next season.
YanksHater213
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Boston Red Sox