Giants rotation talk - Cain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giants rotation talk - Cain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giants rotation talk - Cain

Postby Armed and Hammered » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:26 pm

Heard one of the Giants gaziliion announcers being interviewed at lunch and he thought that Cain would be called up within the next month or so if not soon after the break. He thought Reuter and Fassero were out of the rotation for good and Correia, Hennessey and Cain would be up for good.

Take it FWIW, just thought the info might be useful to someone.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby theskaboss » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:21 pm

I'd sorta dig the youth movement, the Giants are going nowhere fast, might as well see what the young guns can do...
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby El Jefe » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 pm

Matt Cain - Giants
RHP Matt Cain has pitched well for Triple-A Fresno and is labeled a "sure-thing" big leaguer, but he's only 20 and still maturing. The three-year pro has a blazing mid-90s fastball, a budding curve and changeup and -- at times -- great command. Despite the Giants' pitching woes this year, Cain won't be called up until September and is still a season away from his San Francisco debut. Big and strong, he shows poise, and is fairly unflappable. (Rich Draper/MLB.com)

Fantasy Source spin: Cain is easily among the top few pitching prospects in baseball. If he is called up this season, be prepared to pounce.

This is from Sporting News today. Not too sure how he can get a call up in September and still be a season away from his debut, but I'd like to see him sooner than later... I've already pounced in my dynasty leagues.
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantFan666 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:58 pm

The Giants announcers tonight were talking about Cain possibly getting called up to pitch this week for a spot start but won't due to the fact that he just pitched the other night... That makes it sound like the Giants are ready to bring him up a lot sooner than Sept.
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby baseball6791 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:23 am

they dont want to rush cain. reuter is out of the rotation, but they are going to give cain some more time to mature in AAA. they cant afford to blow him :-o with that said, I think that we could see him in early-mid august at the earliest. he probably wont get you any wins with our offense, but some K's are definitely possible.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Registered_Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:43 am

Let's hope he fares better than Ainsworth, Foppert, Williams.

Ainsworth's career is all but over (he may have actually already retired).

Foppert's still trying to come back almost 2 years after Tommy John. I think he's likely to end up a reliever.

I still like Williams. No clue why the Giants gave up on him. There's no doubt whatsoever he'll be a career starter. IMO if he can add another 2-3 MPH (as right now he's pitching in the mid/upper 80's), he'll be a Livan clone in 2-3 years.
1.Roger>Randy this year; 2.New Yankee SP's = BUST! (again); 3. Bernie will cover the least amount of ground of any CF in baseball for 4th straight yr.; 4. Yanks = stuck with Giambi's contract; 5. Loaiza > any SP signed in offseason by Yankees.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:47 am

i have cain in a league of mine with a minor league system. i'm hoping he doesn't get called up until next year at the earliest so that i keep his minor league eligibility for as long as possible. he looks good, but another year of maturation certainly wouldn't hurt this kid.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

hennessey?

Postby ARN » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:34 pm

so anyone know if hennessey will be called up to replace rueter or have they not decided?
ARN
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:38 pm

Registered_Guest wrote:Let's hope he fares better than Ainsworth, Foppert, Williams.

no kidding... Giants don't have a very good track record of young starters making that final leap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Re: hennessey?

Postby GiantFan666 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:58 pm

ARN wrote:so anyone know if hennessey will be called up to replace rueter or have they not decided?

That is what the announcers said last night is that Hennessey would get the call.
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Baseball Leftovers