I'm predicting a 4 game sweep vs D-Rays. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

I'm predicting a 4 game sweep vs D-Rays.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm predicting a 4 game sweep vs D-Rays.

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:00 am

This is a huge opportunity for this team. Entering the All-Star break at .500 would be huge, and 4 more wins would put us there. After a pitiful showing in the double header on July 4 against one of baseball's hottest teams, we bounced back to split the series. Now we go to face a team that is struggling mightily and has a manager that seems to be going insane (or just being his usual idiot self). With Maggs back and showing glimpses of how much he can impact this team, let's see some momentum entering the second half.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:41 am

And furthermore, they come out of the break with a series against the Royals. A better chance to get their heads above .500 they will not get. They had better win at least 6 of 8, at least.

Maggs does seem to be lifting the offense, along with Shelton. It will be interesting to see if they can finally come together as a team and hit, pitch and field well...field? Well, I guess two out of three ain't so bad.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cmchampa2 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:29 am

There couldn't be a better time to be playing the Devil Rays.

I'm still excited about this team. Lots of talent and lots of heart. Go Tigers.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:14 am

So much for that. Our lovely closer strikes again!
We absolutely MUST salvage 3/4 though.

The offense will get things together in the second half, so Percival needs to get sharp in a hurry. He's holding opponents to a .207 BA, but 7 HR's in 25 IP isn't going to get it done. He struggled a bit in the first half last year too and settled down nicely to close out the year. Hopefully we see the same trend this year too.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:21 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:So much for that. Our lovely closer strikes again!
We absolutely MUST salvage 3/4 though.

The offense will get things together in the second half, so Percival needs to get sharp in a hurry. He's holding opponents to a .207 BA, but 7 HR's in 25 IP isn't going to get it done. He struggled a bit in the first half last year too and settled down nicely to close out the year. Hopefully we see the same trend this year too.

Percival blew, no doubt, but he's no tthe only guilty party. I think that Tram's insistance on bunting after the back-toback homers and a double killed their mometum and sealed their fate. With no outs and you team having just slugged three straight extra-base hits he decides to give up an out. 8-o How many runs did they score after that? None, they Turtled.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 am

I didn't like the fact that BOTH Magglio Ordonez and Placido Polanco sat out that game. We were just a couple of days away from three whole days off, I would say play them. It's my personal preference to avoid sitting two or more position starters in a single day whenever you can help it, but they still had their opportunity to win before coming up short.

I don't have much idea about the bunt situation as I missed a couple of innings where this happened. I'm pretty certain it was Nook Logan who bunted based on the box score, in which case I see absolutely no problem with the decision. He's been very poor with the bat as of late, so why not bunt? What was he, like 1 for his last 20 something entering the situation (I'm just estimating)? If Nook does his job, he's as likely to get on base and move the runner over bunting as he is swinging. Had Nook popped up or bunted, I'm sure Trammell would have been faulted for not bunting.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 am

Well here is the sequence: HR, HR, double, bunt. Man on second, no outs, and the D Rays reeling. And he decides to give them an out so he could move a player from scoring position to scoring position. Giving up an out at that time made no sense whatsoever. And his team follows his lead and scores no more.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:07 am

And bunting is the cause of the team to not score for the rest of the game? I find that to be a very odd thought.

In his previous at-bat Nook Logan weakly grounded out to the pitcher to end the second (maybe it was a bunt or a swinging bunt, I don't exactly remember as most of Nook's atbats these days are pretty forgettable).

The Nook Logan bunt later occurred in the 4th inning.
After the bunt, we managed to have runners at 1st and 3rd with one out after an Inge walk. Carlos Guillen weakly popped out to short, then Chris Shelton strikes out. Sorry, the bunt had nothing to do with the failure to drive in the run and it was not Trammell's decision to have two of our best hitter's make easy outs.

6th inning: We managed runners at 1st and 3rd with one out. Again here's Guillen, and he strikes out. Here's Shelton again, and he strikes out again. Sorry, the bunt had nothing to do with this one and again it was not Trammell's decision to have these players strike out.

8th inning: Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs. Here's Guillen yet again. And he pops out again. The bunt is a distant memory, and it was not Trammell's decision to have one of our best hitters with yet another poor at bat with runners in scoring position.

I know as manager, Trammell deserves some heat from time to time, but I think you are reaching VERY deep to blame him for everything that happens to this team. The things that killed us in this game were the failure to drive in runs on base and our closer serving up his usual long ball. The bunt had little to do with it, and very well could have been the correct call considering the runner was successfully advanced for the top of the lineup whom we expect much more out of than they delivered given the situation. Shelton just had an off game, but I haven't been too impressed so far by Guillen when there are runs to be driven in. But Guillen's come through for us in every situation except w/RISP so I'm sure he'll come around.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:06 pm

All I know is that when I saw Nook bunting a runner from scoring position to third with nobody out my first thought was "why are you giving them an out?" I felt the Tiges hade a huge inning comming and deciding to play small ball served to negate the momentum that had been built.
I'm not reaching for reasons to attack Tram. I would much rather cheer his brilliant managing skills. I've just yet to see them. But his knack for the wrong move makes me think that he hasn't got a very good grasp of how to run a team, or maybe he just has no feel for his team.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Detroit Tigers