what the heck is he talking about? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

what the heck is he talking about?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what the heck is he talking about?

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:54 am

so I am reading this mornings Daily News, and I came across this from Minaya..

"As far as we're concerned, we're in the rebuilding mode. If you look at that team across the way, the reason they're playing good ball is because they've been together for a while," Minaya said, referring to the Nationals. "There's value in keeping a core group of guys together. When you play together for a while, you learn how to win the close games. At some point in time we're going to have to do that ourselves.

this is the core ... minus Wilkerson and couple of pitchers like Livan,
but they have been to gether for barely 3 months, at the most.

1B N. Johnson
2B Junior Spivey
SS Cristian Guzmán
3B Vinny Castilla
OF Marlon Byrd
OF José Guillén
OF R. Church

SP Esteban Loaiza
SP John Patterson
SP Ryan Drese

Maybe it is time for a new GM is New York.
4 in 4 years, has got to be some type of record right?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:02 am

and how can he say there is nothing available ?

Omar Minaya said the Mets remain committed to adding talent before the trading deadline, at least right now. The problem: There's not much available, so the deadline may quietly pass as far as the Mets are concerned.

A Schmidt or Burnett would do wonders for this team, right now.

How sad, that barely three months after signing Pedro Martinez and "Carla Beltran" .. .. .. They are rebuliding ..

This division is very winable :-t
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:37 pm

If they could add a frontline starter, they would be in good shape, they should not need to rebuild right now especially with the Nats leading this weak division....
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:53 pm

wrveres wrote:A Schmidt or Burnett would do wonders for this team, right now.

There isn't much available. This is definitely a seller's market. For starters, the Mets need offense if anything, maybe a veteran bullpen arm but neither Schmidt or A.J. fit their needs. Now of course Schmidt and A.J. are two pitchers any team would want but these are not the type of players you go after at the deadline unless you're filling a hole. Both will be overpriced and there isn't a shot in hell of Florida trading A.J. to the Mets.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nuclear29 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:30 pm

Need another bat for sure. The right side of the infield isn't scaring anybody. The rotation is good and will be better when we get Trachsel back.
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:37 pm

There's "not much available" as far as filling what the Mets need; namely, a first and second baseman, corner outfielder, bullpen help, and a reliable starter. Burnett is a free agent at the end of the year, and a guy I really wouldn't want to take a gamble on, nor would I gamble on Schmidt at this point. He's tried to lure Milwaukee and Cinci into dealing Overbay and Casey to no avail thus far, and we have a revolving door at 2B that just doesn't seem to be able to stop. He's right though; there's not a ton available right now, to fill our needs.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:50 pm

Franscesa on the WFan through out on Thursday a suggestion of trading Zambrano, Heilman & prospect for Soriano.

What do you guys think about that potential deal?

He also brought up a team like the Astros come calling for Floyd would you deal him?
killiansjmd
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:05 pm

I've seen Zambrano's name pop up in a few trade rumors. I think that if they do do something like that it's only so that Omar can get out from under the shadow of Duquette's trade. I think that would be a bad move. Despite all the garbage we've heard about the Zambrano and Benson trades they are both looking pretty damn good right now. Of course no one talks about that. :-)

I could get used to the idea of Soriano now that Reyes no longer figures into the discussion but I'm not sure how I feel about moving VZam. He is really starting to look nasty. I'd hate to see Heilman go but you can't get anything for nothing so I guess I could live with that.

I can also deal with Floyd being dealt if the Mets decide to be sellers and it puts them in a good position for next year. I'm still on the fence about the whole buyers/sellers thing.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chinst » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:40 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mets move Cameron or Floyd, but only if they seriously consider making a move for Manny Ramirez this winter...
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to New York Mets