Explosions in London - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Explosions in London

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Explosions in London

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:25 am

This is all over the news...what the hell is going on??

July 7, 2005
Blair Calls Subway and Bus Blasts a Terror Attack; at Least 2 Killed
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
LONDON (AP) -- Half a dozen explosions rocked the London subway and tore open a packed double-decker bus during the morning rush hour Thursday, police said. At least two people were killed and nine injured in the nearly simultaneous blasts, and officials shut down the entire underground transport network.

The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G-8 summit was getting under way in Scotland. Initial reports blamed a power surge for the subway explosions, but officials were not ruling out an attack.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today," said Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were "terrible injuries."

A senior Israeli official said Scotland Yard told Israel minutes before the explosions that it had received warnings of possible terror attacks. Italy's European commissioner, Franco Frattini, called the explosions a terrorist strike, the Apcom and ANSA news agencies reported.

Sir Ian Blair, London's police chief, said he was concerned the explosions were a coordinated attack but said he wouldn't speculate on who was responsible. He said officials had found indications of explosives at one of the sites.

Bloodied and bandaged witnesses reported panicked crowds fleeing as the blast rained glass and other debris onto the street.

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station had soot and blood on their faces. He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London and said they suspected a bomb caused the blast. Dow Jones Newswires reported that police said there were explosions on two other buses.

A witness at the Russell Square blast said the entire top deck of that bus was destroyed.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air," Belinda Seabrook told Press Association, the British news agency.

She said the bus was packed with people.

"It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air," she said.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was hosting the world's most powerful leaders at Gleneagles, Scotland, was expected to make a statement at 7 a.m. EDT. It was not clear if the G-8 gathering focusing on climate change and aid for Africa -- but from which Iraq has largely been left off the agenda -- would have to be postponed.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

Bradley Anderson, a subway passenger, told Sky News that "there was some kind of explosion or something" as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

"Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train," Anderson said.

Simon Corvett, 26, who was on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, said: "All of sudden there was this massive huge bang."

"It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered," he said. "There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke.

"You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted," he said. "There were some people in real trouble."

London's cell phone network was working after the explosions but was overloaded and spotty, limiting communication.

The explosions sent stocks plummeting in Europe, with several of the major indexes down 3 percent.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:08 am

Either Al Qaeda or the IRA/Real IRA, thats whats going on.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby LooseCannon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:37 am

Wow....... :-o I wonder which terrorists are up to it now?

[url=http://www.mp3players4free.com/default.aspx?r=681536] www.mp3players4free.com[/url]
LooseCannon
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 am

It was an Al Qaeda group in Europe that claimed responsibility. I honestly think that if the US hadn't attacked Iraq and dragged England into it that they never would've attacked London. They're prolly pissed about England's involvement in Iraq and their alliance with the US and decided to attack them during the G8 summit to make a point.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:It was an Al Qaeda group in Europe that claimed responsibility. I honestly think that if the US hadn't attacked Iraq and dragged England into it that they never would've attacked London. They're prolly pissed about England's involvement in Iraq and their alliance with the US and decided to attack them during the G8 summit to make a point.

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 743)

Postby ironman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:01 am

How long before this thread gets locked? :-?
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 97)

Postby WharfRat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:02 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:It was an Al Qaeda group in Europe that claimed responsibility. I honestly think that if the US hadn't attacked Iraq and dragged England into it that they never would've attacked London. They're prolly pissed about England's involvement in Iraq and their alliance with the US and decided to attack them during the G8 summit to make a point.

The same thing happened in Spain not too long ago, and the incumbent party lost in the national elections shortly thereafter. It'll be interesting to see how the English respond, Blair has been catching some hell over the invasion.

I don't want to get into a big debate over Iraq. That goes for everybody.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Irish » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:21 am

I think the main thing that I think when I see things like this is:

WE CAN'T STOP PEOPLE FROM DOING THIS

What we have to try to do is try to understand the attitudes these groups have and try our best to change those attitudes among future generations, whic is a long arduous path, but one that we need to start NOW.

This isn't just a group that hates Ameica's way of life or people that are "insane". They have real reasons that this country needs to discuss openly.

Will this ever happen? Probably not. Even if we do understand the reasons it might not do any good since attitudes are so hard to change. But it will help prevent these things from happening in the future.

Either way, I'm thankful that this tragedy wasn't as large as it could have been and wish the families of the deceased peace of mind sooner then later.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:21 am

I agree %100 and I don't think this deserves a thumbs down.....The world all around is a dangerous place and always has been.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to General Talk