Mota-vation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mota-vation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mota-vation

Postby dorje3 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:07 am

Mota has pitched very well recently. He has not allowed a run in his last ten relief appearences, including two shutout innings tonight showcased by 4Ks.
It seems Mota has some serious motavation to regain his role as Florida's closer. Despite lingering trade talks, I really don't think McKeon and Florida are willing to part with Mota unless they get a whole lot in return.
The flip side of this silver dollar is that Old Man Jones has continued to pitch well.
So here's the million dollar question:
Will Mota reclaim the job in Florida?
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Area51's » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:35 am

I had been watching Mota closely, and he is pitching extremely better. I was kind of hoping that Jones blew up once or twice, especially after losing all that weight being sick, but Jones was way solid last night.

I would say Mota has less than a 50% chance of regaining the closer job before September, as well as Jones is going. TJ has a lot of security right now, and it would take an injury or meltdown in 3 or 4 games for that to happen.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick Mota up, just for quality of numbers right now; he looks like he is completely back from the funk he was in....Glad I rode him out for like a 7 era for my squad! :-o
Area51's
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rlee » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:16 am

Jack McKeon will probably take the "if ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. They're having success with Mota back in the setup role and Jones closing. As long as that works, they'll probably stay that way.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Jury » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:43 am

I like the play on words with Mota-vation ;-D

However, the actual word is 'motivation.' (You used 'motavation' in your paragraph, just making sure you get A's in English class :D)
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:17 pm

Only way Mota returns to closing this season is if Jones gets hurt or suddenly drops off to sub-mediocrity.
I'm actually among the minority that's OK with it, since I'm in a holds league; just glad that after dropping Mota during his lame phase that I was able to re-claim him when MGonzalez hit the DL ;-D.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby dorje3 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 am

Jones had not recorded a save in three weeks until two nights ago, July 16th. Towards the end of that draught, Mota was given an save opportunity (McKeon opted to stay with Mota in the ninth after he had worked a perfect 8th) which he promptly blew. However, other than the BS Mota has been flawless for the last month, and I think McKeon might consider him for saves in the future and might slowly rotate Mota into the closing role.
Mckeon has the luxury of having a class-act in Todd Jones, who would not, in my estimation, put up any fuss if McKeon were to experiment with Mota in the closing role.
Just something to keep an eye on. Mota has been fired up as of late. He looks Mota vated.
dorje3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:02 am

The presumption here is that McKeon is still managing in 1-2 months. That's 50/50 at this stage.

Also it looks like Jorge Julio is heading to FLA -- his track record as a closer is not too bad either.

I think Jones is the closer unless he loses the job by pitching poorly. I don't think Julio or Mota can WIN it by pitching well.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:09 am

Jones had a not-so-good outing last night...1.1ip 3h 1er and the loss. I'm thinking seriously of picking up Julio (Mota is already taken) as an insurance policy on Jones.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby linberg » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:28 am

I own Jones and just traded Aaron Boone for Mota to a guy who loves the Indians... (I picked Boone up a week ago solely for this purpose in case you were wondering why I had him at all...)
linberg
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 am

i think mota has a decent chance at being the closer in another month or so... if jones has another bad outing or 2,,, then mckeon has to go back to mota as well as he has pitched lately...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers