Hardest Throwers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hardest Throwers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rlee » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:03 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Sabathia was routinely throwing 97,98 last night against the Tigers. He got shelled. Nice work CC ;-D Pull your pants up.

... and straighten your hat out :-b
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:06 am

They say Verlander throws it 100 mph
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AT » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:36 am

rlee wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Sabathia was routinely throwing 97,98 last night against the Tigers. He got shelled. Nice work CC ;-D Pull your pants up.

... and straighten your hat out :-b

... and lose some weight ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pokey » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:46 am

Broncmet724 wrote:They say Verlander throws it 100 mph

just watching the clips from mlb.com after his debut, his stuff looked nasty
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kurtistb » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:01 am

Matthias wrote:none of you have read his question... his question was does anyone know what the *average* mph for pitchers is? sorry; tried a quick google search. couldn't find it for you.

Actually i did try and answrer is question which is why the blurb that I posted says Sabathia had the highest AL avg in 2003 and Schidmt had the highest NL avg. Just that I couldn't find anything for 2004.
kurtistb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pibb55 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 am

kurtistb wrote:here are some stats from 2003 just to give you an idea of how hard Billy Wagner throws (or at least threw 2 years ago)

# Billy Wagner in 2003 threw 159 pitches over 100 mph. According to those who record such numbers in ballparks across the country, every other pitcher in baseball legitimately topped 100 mph a grand total of 40 times. Think about that. Bartolo Colon was next, with 12 pitches over 100.

# For the "It's Good to be Bartolo Colon" segment on E!, Colon is listed as throwing the most pitches over 95 mph of any AL pitcher (636), and had the second highest average fastball velocity (93.4) to C.C. Sabathia (93.9). Kerry Wood (95.5) and Jason Schmidt (95.0) had the highest average NL velocity and were 1-2 in pitches over 95. In case you were wondering, Greg Maddux had the third slowest average fastball (85.4) of any NL pitcher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1659935

Thanks, I didn't know Wagner had THAT much gas... the reason I brought this up was because me and a friend in my league had a debate about who we'd rather have, Harden or Wood. I said Id defintely would rather have Harden, while he would rather have Wood (he is a Cubs fan though). Then speed got into the debate and he said Wood throws harder than Harden and I was looking for somewhere to check this.
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:32 am

kurtistb wrote:
Matthias wrote:none of you have read his question... his question was does anyone know what the *average* mph for pitchers is? sorry; tried a quick google search. couldn't find it for you.

Actually i did try and answrer is question which is why the blurb that I posted says Sabathia had the highest AL avg in 2003 and Schidmt had the highest NL avg. Just that I couldn't find anything for 2004.

we must've been posting at the same time. yours wasn't up when i was writing, sorry. it was a good attempt to answer the question.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby go_jays_go » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:48 am

I agree with Wharfrat on this one. Burnett practically throws his arm off, He's clocked at 100+ this year. If only he didn't walk so many guys :-o

Another flamethrower is Derrick Turnbow, when you see him pitch you know it's going to be fast. He's also clocked at 100 this year. If he can find the strikezone with his heat, he's pretty damn good.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Fool42 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:09 pm

I know that Gagne has reached 100 before. Obviously not this year. Just a small caution though Bonds hit his 100 mph pitch out of Pac Bell (SBC) park.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pmacxx2 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:14 pm

Bobby Jenks was consistently touching 99 last night in his major league debut for the White Sox. Earlier in his Anaheim minor league career he reportedly touched 103. I know earlier this year he was clocked at 101 at Birmingham. Funny thing is that his fastball is not even his best rated pitch. Jenks throw a 86 mph spike/12-6 curveball that is unhittable. Like most flamethrowers location has always been an issue for Jenks. After last night's performance though, he's all the rage for Sox fans right now.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers