oswalt in (Pods too) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

oswalt in (Pods too)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:01 pm

No one is going to win this argument, blankman is obviously blinded by his love of Captain Intangible and all other things Yankee.

I personally voted over 100 times for Pods because I heard it was close and Jeter was first and Pods was second. I just did whatever I could to make sure Jeter was there. The FACT is, I just don't like him, and hoped he'd get snubbed. ;-D

Sorry if that makes me a bad person. :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:05 pm

davidmarver wrote: Podsednik is a better base-stealer than anyone on the AL roster...he brings something to the table they don't have.

And he's not better than Derek Jeter. That's all that matters on the All-Star team. There are no role players on the All-Star team, only the game's stars at the midway point and Pods and his embarrassing .700 OPS is no star.

I'm done with you and your Yankee hating, whether you admit it or not, that's the reason for your stubborness. You and White Sox fans (not even all the ones here) are the only ones here that think he should be there over Jeter or Hunter or Matsui.

I'm done with you.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:10 pm

Frankly, there are half a dozen players who deserved to go more than either Pods or Jeter: Hafner, Dellucci, Mench, Matsui, Dye, Nixon, Hunter
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby matmat » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:02 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Frankly, there are half a dozen players who deserved to go more than either Pods or Jeter: Hafner, Dellucci, Mench, Matsui, Dye, Nixon, Hunter

Amen.
They really should move the AS game to after the season anyway...
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:52 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Frankly, there are half a dozen players who deserved to go more than either Pods or Jeter: Hafner, Dellucci, Mench, Matsui, Dye, Nixon, Hunter

I'd love to hear an argument for Nixon, but that's besides the point. :-b

It was basically the same argument back and forth for 5 straight pages that could be summed up in a paragraph.

I'd have to say I agree with Blankman in the main premise of the argument, no - not because Jeter's a Yankee, but because the All-Star is promoted and advertised to have the best players there, not the one that would be best for the team. Granted, Pods may or may not be better for the team, depending on opinion, but the point is that the ASG, as advertised, is for the best available players to be there. Jeter, along with guys like Hafner and many others got snubbed because of fans that actually cared enough to vote in the lesser player like Pods and Eckstein (ick), which I didn't and only voted a few times...
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KronJon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:54 pm

I think it should have been Torii Hunter...
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:19 pm

I think the argument for Nixon would be in comparison to a guy like Ichiro being on the team. Nixon has better metrics than Ichiro, but neither really deserves to be on the team with the season each one is having. Trot's RC/G is third for AL RF's behind Sheff and Vlad, both All-Stars, but in front of Ichiro. That said, he still doesn't deserve to be an all-star.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby myteamsucks » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:03 am

good lord david, please spare us from "better for the team" nonsense.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT WINNING THE GAME

i don't think we would have constant replacements and substituion for junkier players (i.e hillenbrand and baez)

overall, in the words of the famous chi sox announcer, hawk, i think scott podsednik was a "stretchhhhhhhhhhhh"
myteamsucks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:47 am

I don't think you needed to vote to have a opinion. Voting is lame imo, when some here voted 100 times.

DavidMarver, you state Jeter is the better player, but Pods helps the AL more. Kind of a contradiction, don't you think? The better player will help more. Jeter's ops is .131 better. So he is more likely to get on base, or drive the ball. Even if you want to count pinch running, Pods ratio isn't alot more. Jeters career sb % is 79. 3%, to Pods 82.9%, basically 3.6%.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:08 am

It isn't contradictory, not by any means. Players, in real life, get pinch run for all the time by lesser players because it helps the team win; how is that any different? Jeter brings nothing that the AL team doesn't already have. Podsednik brings something that they don't already have.

Don't you think using SB% isn't very wise since teams are expecting Podsednik to run; Jeter can be more selective when he runs (bad defensive catcher, runner on third, pitcher who is slow to the plate). The fact Podsednik has a better % while stealing far more frequently shows how much better of a baserunner he is.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers