oswalt in (Pods too) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

oswalt in (Pods too)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:09 pm

blankman wrote:
Matthias wrote:
blankman wrote:No. And that's not a question that has any relevance on who deserves to be an All-Star.


Right: the relavent question is, who do the fans want to see more. And apparently the answer isn't jeet-jeet-skadeet.


That's not even necessarily true because you're allowed to vote as many times as you want. One person alone could account for at least 1000 votes over the period on his own.

Now if you could stop cherry-picking posts and post something useful that'd be great ;-D Also check your PM box. I sent you something last night.

You should have done it yourself if it riles you up so much. And please don't say 'I have a life, I couldn't have done that' because you post here frequently enough to where you could have spent that time voting 1000 times for Jeter.

If you can't see that Podsednik is better for the AL team than Jeter than you are obviously blinded by your love of the Yankees. Look, Jeter is a far better player than Podsednik, but the AL team already has equal talent at the same position. However, they do not have a base-stealer as good as Podsednik who can come in off the bench and steal a base 80+% of the time even when everyone and their mother knows he's stealing. That stolen base was the turning point in the ALCS last season...it can be the turning point in the All-Star game this season. Nothing Jeter brings to the table is any different than what any other player brings to the table. Please don't bring up experience as an important factor either; it wasn't experience that helped Blalock homer off Gagne.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
blankman wrote:
davidmarver wrote:Everyone's so quick to forget that Podsednik helps the AL team more than Jeter. Podsednik brings something to the table that the AL team doesn't have...Michael Young and Tejada are virtual equals to Jeter. The AL team has a better chance to win with :-] as the 32nd man instead of Jeter.


Dude that's your only argument for him.

The vote is for who should be an all-star, not who has one quality that could help the team. Tony Womack is just as fast as Pods, has 20 SB and has a better SB% than Pods, but you don't see anyone wanting him there "because he helps the AL team," despite inferior stats. That's not what the title All-Star is for. Its for the best players and both Tony Womack and Pods don't fit the bill for that.

So you concede that Podsednik is better for the AL team than Jeter, but you want Jeter there instead because he's the better player? Doesn't this go against your Soriano for Wang/Cano trade philosophy? You didn't want Soriano because Wang (pitching) helps the team more than Soriano would. Can't have it both ways. If Jeter was meant to be in the All-Star game he would be there.


I do not concede Pods being better for the team. He'd have the exact same effect of Tony Womack being there.

Bringing in a trade discussion that is about an actual baseball team and it's future to this discussion is possibly the largest leap you've ever made here and that's saying a lot.

All-stars: The best players. Pods is simply not one of them.

Actual baseball: age, salary, contract years, chemistry etc. All these things matter to actual teams. The All-Star team is nothing like a real team.

So yes, I can have it both ways and that is the way it is meant to be.

Does Podsednik help the AL team more than Jeter? I want a yes/no answer.


I really don't see this as a factor for the All-Star selection process, nor do I think Podsednik helps the AL more than Jeter. So, this gets a 'No' from me.


Yah, that isnt a valid point at all david. Give it up, you just hate the yankees.

Jeter was the most deserving of the award. When Red Sox fans are admitting that, you know you are wrong.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:15 pm

Yah, that isnt a valid point at all david.

Yeah, the point of baseball isn't to win. :-? ;-7
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:15 pm

david, once again, you didn't respond to my post.

I'm going to ignore what you just said for the time being until you respond to this:

Please back up your analogy between Pods over Jeter and Cano/Wang for Soriano. I explained that it was a bad analogy so please explain us your thinking. We could all use the laugh.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Strasil42 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:18 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yah, that isnt a valid point at all david.

Yeah, the point of baseball isn't to win. :-? ;-7


The point of baseball is to win. That is a great point and am glad you brought it up.

Check out the stats. Jeter is the better player, so he should be in the game. :-? ;-7
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:20 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Yah, that isnt a valid point at all david.

Yeah, the point of baseball isn't to win. :-? ;-7


The point of baseball is to win. That is a great point and am glad you brought it up.

Check out the stats. Jeter is the better player, so he should be in the game. :-? ;-7


david, the point of the All-Star team is to comprise the best players in the League on one team.

Now please respond to my comments about your trade analogy. I've done you the favor of responding to your questions and should expect you to do the same.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:24 pm

davidmarver wrote:
Yah, that isnt a valid point at all david.

Yeah, the point of baseball isn't to win. :-? ;-7


Well, up until good ol' Bud put home field on the line, I always thought winning was a secondary objective as far as All-Star weekend went. Putting on a good show for the fans in attendance and watching at home was always top priority in my eyes, getting a nice break from a taxing 162 game season, enjoying time spent with other top caliber players, etc.

I think you're grasping at straws now. We're not talking about a pennant pushing team making a trade or anything (and even if we were, I'd take Jeter 10 times out of 10); we're talking about an All-Star Game here.

Plus besides, I've already answered you that the AL team is better with Jeter than with Podsednik.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24665
(Past Year: 839)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:28 pm

It's pretty simple:

Here you supported Jeter (the better player) over Podsednik (better for the team).

In the Soriano for Wang/Cano deal you supported Wang/Cano (better for the team) over Soriano (the better player).

What I don't understand is how you get "Most Deserving" out of "All-Star". If they wanted the game to be nothing more than selecting a mock team of the most deserving it'd be called the "Most Deserving Simulation" not the "All-Star Game". Podsednik is more useful which makes him the better selection for this game.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:42 pm

davidmarver wrote:It's pretty simple:

Here you supported Jeter (the better player) over Podsednik (better for the team).

In the Soriano for Wang/Cano deal you supported Wang/Cano (better for the team) over Soriano (the better player).

What I don't understand is how you get "Most Deserving" out of "All-Star". If they wanted the game to be nothing more than selecting a mock team of the most deserving it'd be called the "Most Deserving Simulation" not the "All-Star Game". Podsednik is more useful which makes him the better selection for this game.


That's funny. I don't think many people agree with you that Pods is better for the team anyway. Once again, he's no more useful than Tony Womack.

Now for the sake of argument, lets go with the false notion that Pods is better for the team. Can't you see the difference between an All-Star team put together for one game all season and an actual baseball team that has to worry about salary, age, potential, attitude, team chemistry, where players play, where they hit, future FA status etc?

The All-Star game is simply for the best players and that's how the players are chosen. They don't chose role players for All-Star teams and that's all Pods would be.

Next question, what's the difference between having Pods go and having Womack go who is just as fast and has a better SB%? If you say stats, then you are a hypocrite, because the same should go for determining whether Jeter or Pods goes.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:53 pm

blankman wrote:Next question, what's the difference between having Pods go and having Womack go who is just as fast and has a better SB%? If you say stats, then you are a hypocrite, because the same should go for determining whether Jeter or Pods goes.

Podsednik runs more often; his SB% should be lower. Podsednik runs 45.45% of the time he's on base (this doesn't include pinch-running appearances or reached-on-error...just stolen base attempts divided by hits+walks) compared to Womack's 32.43%. One should expect a higher SB% like Womack's if he's more selective about when he steals a base. Besides, if whoever it is pinch-runs late in the game (say the bottom of the eighth) but stays in there to field, who would you rather have, Podsednik or Womack? Pods is a much better fielder. So the only two uses for this 32nd man that would have use for the AL team favor Podsednik over Womack. Jeter isn't a better shortstop than any of the other two AL shortstops (three if you consider ARod could play short). Podsednik is a better base-stealer than anyone on the AL roster...he brings something to the table they don't have.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abc11435, BALCO All-Stars, germani40, Johnesmype, Saltydog, skjelstrom and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at Cleveland
(12:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(12:35 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Diego at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact