100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curt In The Pen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:42 am

wrveres wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:Hey Boston. We're coming for you. :-D

i'd hedge my bets if I were you ...

According to New York Newsday, Darrell May could step into the Yankees' rotation if Carl Pavano heads to the disabled list.

:-b

I'm getting the impression around here that Pavano isn't going DL, or at least a decision won't be made until after the AS Break, but they are going to use May for 1 start when Pavano's turn comes up. This being said, I just threw up in my mouth after reviewing Darrell May's career numbers. :-P
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:50 am

Look, in no way, shape or form is this good news for Boston. But it's better than Schilling staying in AAA.

They currently have two problems:

1) Schilling cannot repeat his motion 100 times sufficiently enough to get out ML hitters. He needs more time to stregthen his leg and work on his mechanics before starting at the ML level.

2) The Sox bullpen is in shambles, with Foulke and Mantei on the DL, and the likes of Gonzalez, Halama, Dinardo and Cassidy on the team.

Seems like Theo is taking a reasonable approach to fix both problems at once. Schill gets to work on his mechanics at the ML level, get confidence in his ankle, and meanwhile he will most certainly help the bullpen in some capacity.

Plus, this provides trading flexibility. I bet teams like the Pirates and Mariners were foaming at the mouth with Mantei and Foulke down, and with Embrees struggles--they could get a boatload, they thought, for Mesa, Guardado, or Hasegawa. That's not the case. The Sox now have the flexibility to trade for a starter or a reliever.

No, it's not good news. Yes, I want Schill to start (if he can). But with what I know, it's the smart move.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 am

I agree this isn't the ideal situation, but it's far from being the worst case scenerio. He could have been stubborn and selfish like 99% of other pitchers and just lie and say that he ready to come back as a starter. Then he would get blown up and end up re-injuring himself. The management would have done whatever he said. However, he went to them and told the truth and admitted that he wasn't ready. He went even farther and sacrificed his pride to do what was best for the team. There are few pitchers in the league that have the humility and courage to do what Schill did. Smoltz is another one of these rare characters. Do you think Pedro would have gone out of his way and done this??? No way.
Last edited by Big Papi's Pimps on Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:06 am

Transmogrifier wrote:But with what I know, it's the smart move.
Not according to Johnny Damon, he was quoted by saying the team would rather have Timlin or Arroyo close for the team and NOT Schilling. I feel this more of a personal thing than whats better for the team. The radio was saying today that the wives of Damon and Schilling do not get along and could be the reason for Damon's dislike for Schilling in the closer role, but it probably was just making something of nothing.

Anywhos Schilling's move to the bullpen is being thought of as a "Troy Brown" type move where he went from offense to defense to help the team in anyway he could.
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:12 am

Trot Nixon wrote:
Not according to Johnny Damon, he was quoted by saying the team would rather have Timlin or Arroyo close for the team and NOT Schilling. I feel this more of a personal thing than whats better for the team. The radio was saying today that the wives of Damon and Schilling do not get along and could be the reason for Damon's dislike for Schilling in the closer role, but it probably was just making something of nothing.

Anywhos Schilling's move to the bullpen is being thought of as a "Troy Brown" type move where he went from offense to defense to help the team in anyway he could.

I ignore Damon. Everyone should. :-D
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Papi's Pimps » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:16 am

Trot Nixon wrote:

Yeah, but when Damon says "team" he probably means his little group of Millar, Arroyo, Dinardo, ETC. He might have also been jumping the gun and assumed that the rest of the team would agree with him.
He also used that fact Timlin was in a contract year as one of his major reasons. Just because it would be better for Timlin doesn't mean that it would best for the team. Damon is sensitive to this subject since he's also in a contract year.

Pimpin' Aint Easy!!!
Big Papi's Pimps
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:14 pm

Yeah well Old Ketchup Stain is stinking it up out of the pen against AAA players.

Rotoworld:
Curt Schilling allowed two runs -- one earned -- while pitching the ninth inning for Triple-A Pawtucket tonight.
Schilling was throwing 92 mph and 13 of his 14 pitches were strikes. Still, he gave up two hits. One was a groundball single up the middle and the other was a liner that eluded a diving right fielder for a triple. Schilling is expected to make a couple of more appearances for Pawtucket before rejoining the Red Sox next week

He is trying to catch Beltran and Thome for the biggest bust of the year.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:57 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well Old Ketchup Stain is stinking it up out of the pen against AAA players.

Ah, Yanks04, still in denial, eh? :-b :-b :-b
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby gabenterprises » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:25 pm

Just putting out there that over the last few days the idea of Schilling coming into close games has grown on me. I'm a Foulke and Timlin owner and I'd prefer Schilling not close for fantasy reasons, but after the seven pitch inning he threw in AAA and after watching the last twenty years of closers for the Sox, having a guy who loves the limelight and has proven he will do what it takes to help team win close is sounding more and more appealing. When I first heard the news I was down on it, but its growing on me, for the Sox' sake anyway.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:17 pm

gabenterprises wrote:Just putting out there that over the last few days the idea of Schilling coming into close games has grown on me. I'm a Foulke and Timlin owner and I'd prefer Schilling not close for fantasy reasons, but after the seven pitch inning he threw in AAA and after watching the last twenty years of closers for the Sox, having a guy who loves the limelight and has proven he will do what it takes to help team win close is sounding more and more appealing. When I first heard the news I was down on it, but its growing on me, for the Sox' sake anyway.

i don't think that anyone question Schilling's passion for the game (even a yankee fan has to respect tat). but it's the problem if he actually work from the bullpen. He takes too long to warmup and mite end up serving up two homers before he settles down.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers