Curt In The Pen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curt In The Pen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:33 am

Yahoo! player update thingy wrote:Jul 7 Red Sox manager Terry Francona said Schilling (ankle, bone bruise), once he returns from injury, along with Mike Timlin will share the closer's role, the Boston Globe reports. ''Being candid, [Mike] Timlin and Schill are going to, more often than not, pitch at the end of games," Francona said. "Schill's not going to go every day. This is going to be a little bit unique. But they'll both get opportunities to close games and be there at the end."

Recommendation: This means we'll see Schilling in a closing role for as long as the team decides to keep him in the bullpen. The move of Schilling to the bullpen has an expiration date, which will closely align with Keith Foulke's return to form. - Rotowire.com

CBC in Boston?!?! :-P :-[
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:35 am

i drafted him as a starter gosh darnet!!!! i dont need another closer ive been waiting on to come off the DL

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Schilling as a closer?

Postby AT » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:39 am

Fantasy Guru wrote:Anyone else think it's a bad idea?

I know he's just getting off the DL next week, but he's a guy who can go deep into games and put up quality starts. I'd rather the Sox keep Timlin into the role until they solve the Foulke problem.

I think, though, after he got used to being a closer, Schilling would be lights out and just as good as any closer out there... but he's just fine as a starter!

he WAS a guy who COULD go deep into games. For once try to be realistic and not blast me for being a yankee fan and taking a shot at curt schilling here instead of just pointing out a reasonable conclusion that there's a very good chance that won't be happening very often for the rest of his career. I think this is a good move for him personally, for his career, by Francona, and for the red sox. The sox, at least in the last couple years have made some very smart personnel decisions that noone really saw coming but made total sense and this just follows as the next one. I think it's a good move for them, I really do.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blackbearabroad » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:00 am

The problem is he's not just fine as a starter. He threw 93 pitchs but wasn't able to have a consistent high leval of intensity on many of them. Theo was interviewed and said that it was only when a couple guys got on that he reached back and got up around 94-96 on his fastball.
Theo said that the issue for him out of the pen is pitching back to back to back games and that he will require more "structure." But he gave the impression that schilling in the end will help sure up the "6th and 7th" innings so it sounds like its a split between setting up and closing.

This makes sense for everyone involved, schilling gets to contribute while finishing rehabing. As for the money, of course theyre paying him to start, but he gets paid anyway so why not utilise him in the way that best helps the team (right now)
blackbearabroad
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:34 am

Trouble brewing in Boston?

[url=http://www.courant.com/sports/baseball/hc-redsoxside0707.artjul07,0,1957144.story?coll=hc-headlines-baseball]The news that Schilling will take over as closer raised some eyebrows in the clubhouse.

"I don't think he's ready to be our closer," Johnny Damon said before Wednesday's victory in Texas, endorsing Bronson Arroyo and Timlin. "I think Bronson would be our best choice as a closer. That's if Mike Timlin's not it. "Mike Timlin deserves to be it. All his years in the big leagues and the fact that he came in [Tuesday] night's game and threw six pitches and we were done. That's pretty good. He's going to throw strikes. He's going to make the plays. I think Mike Timlin definitely deserves that spot."

"You got a lot of upset people in here. You've got a lot of guys busting their butts in the bullpen all year."

Another player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it was a "slap in the face" to other relievers that Schilling is getting a chance to close.

"I don't think it's a good move for us," Damon said. "We've talked about it all year. We need him to come back and be a starter and be a good starter. He can't just walk in and be a good closer, either. If he's not ready yet, then he's not ready. Now, if he goes and sets up at first and is the long guy out of the pen, then maybe we'll see. But right now, we're expecting him to be a starting pitcher. I guess we should have more team meetings and see what the best direction for our team will be."

Damon said the Red Sox are "panicking" by making Schilling the closer.

"We're [four] games up," he said. "They feel like we're 10 down. They've been trying to get rid of [Kevin] Millar since the beginning of the season. Well, guess what? His numbers were the same as last year and then he caught fire. Now he's definitely looking over his shoulder a little more because we've got a very good backup first baseman now in [John] Olerud."
[/url]
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby AT » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:48 am

Hey Boston. We're coming for you. :-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby gabenterprises » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:53 am

You guys could use some pitching help yourself, AT.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:29 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Hey Boston. We're coming for you. :-D

i'd hedge my bets if I were you ...

According to New York Newsday, Darrell May could step into the Yankees' rotation if Carl Pavano heads to the disabled list.

:-b
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby Trot Nixon » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:31 am

klvrdude wrote:
Trot Nixon wrote:Theres like 4 topics on this already but he's not gonna "close" he's just going in the bullpen to stop the bleeding for a bit. He might get a few saves here and there but I don't see him being the closer, he's too good to pitch one inning every 3 days IMO

Can you point me to these other topics, I can't find them? I guess I'm not so klvr

1) http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... +schilling

2) http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... +schilling

3) http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... +schilling

4) http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... +schilling

There's plenty more, just simply run a search and there ya go ;-D
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:39 am

Two Curt threads merged. :-°
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor