Curt In The Pen - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Curt In The Pen

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Schilling as a closer?

Postby Fantasy Guru » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:59 pm

Anyone else think it's a bad idea?

I know he's just getting off the DL next week, but he's a guy who can go deep into games and put up quality starts. I'd rather the Sox keep Timlin into the role until they solve the Foulke problem.

I think, though, after he got used to being a closer, Schilling would be lights out and just as good as any closer out there... but he's just fine as a starter!
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Trot Nixon » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:11 pm

Theres like 4 topics on this already but he's not gonna "close" he's just going in the bullpen to stop the bleeding for a bit. He might get a few saves here and there but I don't see him being the closer, he's too good to pitch one inning every 3 days IMO
Thanks chipper!!!!

There is such a thing called clutch and David Ortiz is the modern day definition of it
Trot Nixon
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mercer Boy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:12 pm

The media desperately wants him to close.

Francona did not say he was going to close (yet) as far as I know.

On PTI he did say that he can get people out in the 1st, 9th, or the 11th. So, I guess that sort of hints that he might finish games...but I surely hope not.

Why you ask?

I just picked up Timlin in like 3 leagues tonight. :-B
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasy Guru » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:15 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:The media desperately wants him to close.

Francona did not say he was going to close (yet) as far as I know.

On PTI he did say that he can get people out in the 1st, 9th, or the 11th. So, I guess that sort of hints that he might finish games...but I surely hope not.

Why you ask?

I just picked up Timlin in like 3 leagues tonight. :-B

I made sure to do the same.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:21 pm

NO.

There's no reason for him to close unless he's going to become a permanent closer and that's really just a waste of Boston's money.

The guy threw 93 pitches the other day. The Boston pen is hurting and Schilling's not ready to start again so its a simple idea to have him work his way back slowly and help the team at the same time.

If his health is that bad that he'll never be able to start this year again (unlikely since he threw 93 pitches the other day) that's the only way he becomes a closer.

Its not even a foregone conclusion that he'd even be a good closer anyway. Its completely different than starting.

I'll go ahead and guarantee that by year's end, Curt Schilling will not be Boston's closer.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby El Guapo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:49 pm

I'm not sure how people can be so certain that Schilling won't close. Is it unlikely? Sure. Impossible? I'm not convinced. Based on the interviews I heard today from Francona, he didn't sound like they knew for sure exactly what roll Schilling would take out of the bullpen.

I think the next couple weeks are going to be a big test period. It's very possible that Schilling finds his groove and resumes his roll in the front of the rotation. However, if the Red Sox don't acquire a closer before the deadline, and Schilling is thriving in the bullpen, I don't think it's a stretch for the Red Sox to try and use him as a closer, especially considering that they are in first place with the current rotation.

As of right now, I think the best we can do is keep an eye on the trade deadline, depending on what moves the Red Sox make (or don't) will be the tipoff for Schillings future.
I suppose you could say that everyone has an El Guapo. For some, shyness may be an El Guapo. For others, lack of education may be an El Guapo. But for us, El Guapo is a large ugly man who wants to kill us!
El Guapo
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby klvrdude » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:04 am

Trot Nixon wrote:Theres like 4 topics on this already but he's not gonna "close" he's just going in the bullpen to stop the bleeding for a bit. He might get a few saves here and there but I don't see him being the closer, he's too good to pitch one inning every 3 days IMO

Can you point me to these other topics, I can't find them? I guess I'm not so klvr
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tuff_gong » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:23 am

I personally think it would be a waste of the Sox money to use him for one inning every three or so days.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Registered_Guest » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:26 am

Can't see this being long term as they need him for the playoffs (even if they were to acquire another top starter) if they make it.

Sox fans will feel how it is to have Matt Clement come Sept/Oct and he's got nothing left in the tank.
1.Roger>Randy this year; 2.New Yankee SP's = BUST! (again); 3. Bernie will cover the least amount of ground of any CF in baseball for 4th straight yr.; 4. Yanks = stuck with Giambi's contract; 5. Loaiza > any SP signed in offseason by Yankees.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:28 am

No, I don't think he will. They are paying this guy too much money to pitch just 1 inning, and the RedSox need him as a starter.

I think he will come back to the starter's role once its time.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers