The Giambi Bus?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Giambi Bus??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Giambi Bus??

Postby Jester » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:50 am

Anyone foresee a change from the garbage he has been thus far, to the formidable fantasy stud he once was?? He has started to hit the ball a bit harder, and doesn't look quite as stupid at the plate as of late.

Steroids or not - the guy has some skills. Everyone and their brother has written him off as junkie missing his juice, but I can't seem to.

Former 1st or 2nd round fantasy picks have to deserve more credit than he's been given thus far...right??? I am (ok, more was) a big a big fan of him. His performances in previous HR derbies have given me reason to believe that he is not done.

I just picked him up off waivers…I’m wondering what the word on the street is on him, because I’m thinking about trading away my other 1st baseman, and relying on him for the remainder of the year. That may be far fetched, we’ll see.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AT » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:03 pm

Since Joe and Cash threatened to send him down to the minors to "work things out" Giambi has done a complete 180. He gave up trying to punch the ball to left center and went back to being the guy who tries to pull everything and it's working like a charm. Mattingly told him to just give up hitting the ball to the opposite field like they had him trying to do while he was slumping and had him try to just hit the ball hard like he used to. He's hitting like .330-.340 since then and recently he has started hitting the ball into the gap and now into the seats. His splits as a 1B compared to a DH are staggering as well and have been consistently like that throughout his career. His OBP as a 1B this year is like .480 or something ridiculous like that. I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe move him up to 6th in the order behind Matsui and ahead of Posada and Sierra/Bernie. Giambi has his confidence back, his aggression at the plate when he sees a pitch he likes, and with the fans and media around here starting to pull for him I feel like he could be poised for a really nice second half. I personally am very happy for him, and the Yanks. At least Giambi was a man about his steroid use and didn't try to give everyone a line of garbage like the rest of the Balco Boys. He took his booes and his struggles like a man and I feel like he has finally found himself again. The steroid thing can sometimes be a mental thing, especially when you're struggling, but it's not like he isn't still a huge guy who can hit the ball a long way. Now that he has his confidence back and is seeing some results combined with the Yanks playing good ball and the fans and media mostly behind him I feel like he's going to keep this up.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:56 pm

He's making it pretty hard for me to keep him on my bench. Another week of solid numbers out of him and I just might start being a believer that he could have a nice second half. Then I'd just have to do a trade to get him in my lineup. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mdHARRIS » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:08 pm

Not sure I'd trade away your current 1B as of yet, but you cannot deny his OBP in the month of June and how he's been cranking pitches the past 3 games. His K:BB ratio seems back on track as well. Definitely seeing the ball better...
Did he REALLY ever admit to using roids? I kind of remember him apologizing, but he never said it was for "using steroids". Either way, I jumped on the bus and snatched him up, just in case...
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:12 pm

mdHARRIS wrote:Not sure I'd trade away your current 1B as of yet, but you cannot deny his OBP in the month of June and how he's been cranking pitches the past 3 games. His K:BB ratio seems back on track as well. Definitely seeing the ball better...
Did he REALLY ever admit to using roids? I kind of remember him apologizing, but he never said it was for "using steroids". Either way, I jumped on the bus and snatched him up, just in case...

What do you think he was apologizing for, eating too many blueberries?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:18 pm

mdHARRIS wrote:Not sure I'd trade away your current 1B as of yet, but you cannot deny his OBP in the month of June and how he's been cranking pitches the past 3 games. His K:BB ratio seems back on track as well. Definitely seeing the ball better...

I wouldn't trade away my 1B to make room. I'd just do something to open up my utility spot. A good couple of weeks won't sell me enough to bank on him the rest of the year, but it will sell me enough to give him some time in my lineup. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:22 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote: At least Giambi was a man about his steroid use and didn't try to give everyone a line of garbage like the rest of the Balco Boys. He took his booes and his struggles like a man and I feel like he has finally found himself again.

When you screw up it's best to be honest about it and take the repercussions like a man. I respect Giambi for that too. ;-D

Yes, he did admit to a federal judge/court that he used 'roids and the testimony was leaked.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:25 pm

Hey, where's wrveres and bigh0rt telling us that there's too many Yankee threads and this is in the wrong forum?

I guess they didn't care since it wasn't a Yankee fan who started the thread...
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby blankman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:42 pm

BronX, honestly if you've got that big of a problem with them, PM them instead of sidetracking a legitimate thread. ;-D

I've always thought Giambi still had something left and was pretty high on him preseason.

I've felt sorry for him, but at the same time it's been very frustrating watching him struggle.

Giambi has fooled us earlier this season with a couple walk offs and I'm hesitant to be wrong again, but I sure hope he's back. And based on his past 12 games, he sure is. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby reznorsboy » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:48 pm

As big as these roid junkies have gotten, they still require some skill to actually hit the ball. So i think Giambi does have some talent. He just needs to get back to basics like he has been doing lately. I think he will have a better second half (not that it would be hard).
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers