A different take on helping Africa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A different take on helping Africa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:38 pm

wrveres wrote:
BigMusky wrote:I can not believe you guys dont see this as just another way for them to blaim someone else for their problems.

on the contrary ...

He is saying Africans need to step up and assume responibilties for their problems, and that throwing money at the problem, doesn't work, much like the american ******* system.

heh, reminds me of the IBM commercial with King Arthur and the consultant suggests catapulting bags of gold at whatever their problem was.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:47 pm

wrveres wrote:
BigMusky wrote:I can not believe you guys dont see this as just another way for them to blaim someone else for their problems.

on the contrary ...

He is saying Africans need to step up and assume responibilties for their problems, and that throwing money at the problem, doesn't work, much like the american ******* system.

Agreed. ;-D

Sure would be nice to see the poor step up and start taking care of themselves instead of just living off what others give them, in other countries too.

Nice read ;-D and sure would be nice to see Africa step up and do what they should be doing anyway. ;-D Seems they might finally be starting on the right path. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:01 pm

RugbyD wrote:
heh, reminds me of the IBM commercial with King Arthur and the consultant suggests catapulting bags of gold at whatever their problem was.

cracks me up every time ..

LOL .. :-b
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 pm

I could care less if we help them...I would assume use the damn place for missle testing and give them something to really whine about. But this guy is not really asking for the UN to stop helping them...he is blaiming the country's problem on the UN in a different way. First they complain that they are poor, drought ridden country that needs help...then the US/UN dumps billions of dollars on some pile of dirt worth about 2 cents and they are still poor and starving because of their corrupt government. But instead of setting up a democratic government and voting out the corrupt leaders, they are now complaining that it is all the foreign aid that is making them poor and destroying their non existant economy.

How come when we did the same thing in other countries destroyed by disasters of war or other that they did not become the crack babies of the world?
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:51 pm

BigMusky wrote:How come when we did the same thing in other countries destroyed by disasters of war or other that they did not become the crack babies of the world?

B/c in thsoe coutries (Germany, Japan, Balkans, etc.) there were already well-established societies and economies that people knew and knew how to function within. Africa does not have this b/c 40 years of conditionless aid has destroyed incentive and propped up corrupt goverments that further destroy incentive and productive capacity.

Think of it this way: Aid is not helping. More aid does not solve this since it is still the same aid. There needs to be a very different approach if something is going to work.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk