A different take on helping Africa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A different take on helping Africa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:44 pm

The problem in Africa is not the AID itself, but the government receiving it. They are almost all corrupt and do not use the money for what it is intended. Dont give me crap that people cant make a living because all the Africans are buying hand me down clothes and dont tell me that foreign corn is driving the farmers out of business. The US exports crops to almost every country in the world...just because they are getting theirs free instead of buying it like everyone else does not mean they cant farm too.
If there is an excess amount of crops then maybe they should be subsidized like they are in the US.

As far as welfare... it is not intended to eliminate the poor but support them because there will always be poor worthless people. The whole idea that everyone is equal is such crap.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:44 pm

wrveres wrote:So you end up with some African biochemist driving an aid worker around, distributing European food, and forcing local farmers out of their jobs. That's just crazy!

sums it all up nicely ...

Great Read ..

Thanks. ;-D

Yeah, that was my favorite line. Any situation that converts biochemists to chauffers has something wrong with it.

I guess the moral of the story would be that Trading Places is just a movie, not reality. People don't magically prosper if given wealth; there needs to be a base.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:47 pm

PLEASE LIMIT THE DISCUSSION TO INTERNATIONAL AID AND THE PARTICULARS OF THE AFRICAN SITUATION.

SAVE THE GENERAL WELFARE DEBATE FOR A DIFFERENT THREAD SO THAT ONE CAN GET CLOSED AND NOT THIS ONE.

thanks
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:51 pm

BigMusky wrote:...just because they are getting theirs free instead of buying it like everyone else does not mean they cant farm too.

sure they could farm, but why bother if you're competing with free food? doesn't make good business sense.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Fireball Express » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:58 pm

:-?
:-?
;-D

Yes, you need to stand on your own 2 feet before you can go foward.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Thank you for not aiding China too much ;-D

Wait, isn't that because we are commies? :-?

This article definitely got a point.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:25 pm

RugbyD wrote:
BigMusky wrote:...just because they are getting theirs free instead of buying it like everyone else does not mean they cant farm too.

sure they could farm, but why bother if you're competing with free food? doesn't make good business sense.

why do american farmers bother when the market value of their crops could not sustain their business?
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby BigMusky » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:28 pm

I can not believe you guys dont see this as just another way for them to blaim someone else for their problems.
BigMusky
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby wrveres » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:34 pm

BigMusky wrote:I can not believe you guys dont see this as just another way for them to blaim someone else for their problems.

on the contrary ...

He is saying Africans need to step up and assume responibilties for their problems, and that throwing money at the problem, doesn't work, much like the american ******* system.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby RugbyD » Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:37 pm

BigMusky wrote:
RugbyD wrote:

why do american farmers bother when the market value of their crops could not sustain their business?

While the American and European systems are counterproductive and inefficient, they survive b/c there is a tax base to support it. Africa barely has a tax base and certainly not enough to put their farmers near the subsidy scale of ours.

If fairness to you is everyone erecting equally market-distorting trade barriers, then fine, but Africa can't do this until they have some money of their own to do it with, which requires that they make profits, which requires that they charge more than zero, which requires that they don't have to "compete" with free stuff.

Musky, I don't think I've heard anyone whine so much when asked not to help.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk