Gathright is starting again.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gathright is starting again....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gathright is starting again....

Postby jblank » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:29 pm

hitting in the 9 hole. Thats 3 games in a row fellas, I think I might make a move and grab him.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tiger spit » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:40 pm

has he faced any lefties yet? i doubt lou will play him vrs lefties..
tiger spit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bricklayer » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:50 pm

Has he done anything in the 2 games he started before today?
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jblank » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:44 pm

Bricklayer wrote:Has he done anything in the 2 games he started before today?

Yeah, he went 2-4 with a double and a RBI Monday and 0-3 the day before
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:48 pm

I make Gathright a poor pickup. His value is exclusive to one category. He's not a great bet to score that many hittin ninth. He has zero power and won't drive in many. So unless you're able to withstand a major liability in at least two, maybe three categories just to get the SB's, it's a bad move.

And then there's the BA category, and I don't see him doing a whole lot there, either, although I guess he could hit .280.

Plus, he'll be on the pines vs. lefties for the most part.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jblank » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:53 pm

thehat wrote:I make Gathright a poor pickup. His value is exclusive to one category. He's not a great bet to score that many hittin ninth. He has zero power and won't drive in many. So unless you're able to withstand a major liability in at least two, maybe three categories just to get the SB's, it's a bad move.

And then there's the BA category, and I don't see him doing a whole lot there, either, although I guess he could hit .280.

Well, the kid has hit for a solid avg all through the minors and I think .280 would be solid in that lineup. Still, he is probably the fastest player in MLB, and the fact that he could turn into one of the two or three best base stealers in baseball has inherent value. Scott Podsednik isnt exactly Babe Ruth, but those insane amounts of stolen bases are winning plenty of people the steals category.

I like the kid, I think he can be a darn solid ballplayer, not just in a fantasy sense.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:59 pm

jblank wrote:
thehat wrote:I make Gathright a poor pickup. His value is exclusive to one category. He's not a great bet to score that many hittin ninth. He has zero power and won't drive in many. So unless you're able to withstand a major liability in at least two, maybe three categories just to get the SB's, it's a bad move.

Well, the kid has hit for a solid avg all through the minors and I think .280 would be solid in that lineup. Still, he is probably the fastest player in MLB, and the fact that he could turn into one of the two or three best base stealers in baseball has inherent value. Scott Podsednik isnt exactly Babe Ruth, but those insane amounts of stolen bases are winning plenty of people the steals category.

I like the kid, I think he can be a darn solid ballplayer, not just in a fantasy sense.

I actually think he's even less useful in real baseball. He can't field worth a lick (his routes are a joke) and he's got no arm.

I agree that table setting speedballs can serve a very useful purpose, but Gathright is more like Essix Sneed than Scott Podsednik, IMO.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jblank » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:02 am

thehat wrote:
jblank wrote:

I actually think he's even less useful in real baseball. He can't field worth a lick (his routes are a joke) and he's got no arm.

I agree that table setting speedballs can serve a very useful purpose, but Gathright is more like Essix Sneed than Scott Podsednik, IMO.

Well I (and tons of other Baseball aficionados) disagree, but thats ok. I need the speed and the second this guy gets consistent PT, he gets picked up and Betemit gets dropped. I am only 8 steals out of 2nd place and a player like Gathright that can get them in bunches, just might get me a title this year.

If the kid can hit anywhere close to .300 and steal 20-25 bases in the 2nd half, I would be extatic.
jblank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TonyCee » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:27 am

IMO he's just like Taveras but he leads off.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:38 am

jblank wrote:Well I (and tons of other Baseball aficionados) disagree, but thats ok. I need the speed and the second this guy gets consistent PT, he gets picked up and Betemit gets dropped. I am only 8 steals out of 2nd place and a player like Gathright that can get them in bunches, just might get me a title this year.

If the kid can hit anywhere close to .300 and steal 20-25 bases in the 2nd half, I would be extatic.
"consistent PT" is the problem. He isn't going to get it. If TB wanted to give him a shot they already would have. They have had plenty of opportunity. Young will be up before long and Gathright will be back on the bench on in the minors.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers