i dropped bartolo colon... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

i dropped bartolo colon...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:41 am

Colon isnt great, but hes still pretty good to dump, especially for Santana who rarely will start. Get Colon back, drop Santana. Willis looks good, but his motion is deceptive, and its more likely then not, that later in year teams catch up to him.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 291)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Nero » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:10 am

Lepke wrote:Love the strategy sinicalypse. ;-D

It's moves like that, that will make or break your fantasy season and quite frankly it's nice to see someon have the balls to pull something like that.

You all wont be calling him an idiot when Willis out-produces Colon for the rest of the reason.*

*You all will be calling him an idiot when Colon out-produces Willis for the rest of the season.

I hope the move works out for you. Gutsy performance.

If you want to know where the fine line between guts and lunacy is...here ___________ see it??

Guts is benching Colon and saying I'm going to go with Willis...lunacy is dropping a top 20 pitcher when you can trade him along with another player to upgrade a position...

case in point...you're in need of pitching and I offer you Jeter and Colon for Nomar...you take the deal????

yep...I thought so
Nero
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Josh » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:30 am

i agree here with the guys about t rading. I am not a fan of dropping people anyways. You could easily have traded colon for someone better. I like the Colon-Jeter trade example, you package colon with another player and you ar ethen sitting with a high tier guy without losing anything on your pitching if you are sold on them. It was a ballsy move, but I always think trading is more profitable. People have dropped the same guys I have on my team, while they may not be stellar, they still make good trade bait in teh right scenario. Hope it works out for you though, you are certainly going to make someone happy when they pick up colon off waivers
Josh
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super GM » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:54 am

It's probably not the best move I've seen you do yet, but it's not gonna kill you either. You could have easily traded him...just hope it works out for you. I added Dontrelle Willis too, dropped Billy Koch for him though...
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Transmogrifier » Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:38 am

Didn't you drop Halladay (only to pick him up and drop him again)??? Don't you regret that one now? You'll regret this one, too.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:56 am

The only way I could justify dropping Colon is that you're in a 5 team mixed league and everyone else has an awesom staff as well. Otherwise, I would have traded him.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby trippinonreality » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:40 am

I don't understand the rationale behind not trading him its a waste of resources. I don't know where you drafted him but its like just giving your competition that draft pick not very smart at all. Besides that how can you justify keeping Santana who is basically a middle reliever on your roster but just dropping Colon.

As for the guy who said moves like these make or break you I don't know if this is significant enough to do either but I do know that you didn't help yourself no matter what the situation because its always better to package someone for an upgrade than drop someone for nothing.
trippinonreality
College Coach
College Coach

i dropped bartolo colon...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:38 pm

Plain and simple, it was not a good move to drop him. If you didn't like him then you should have traded him. Is your league so weak that you can get away with this? Don't take that last question the wrong way, not trying to be a smartass...just curious.

Friendliness: %

not balls

Postby phatjimmy » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:31 am

It wasn't ballsy, it was stupid.

If Colon has a terrible year and never gets it going, some might think you made the right decision. You didn't. If that happens, you got lucky.
phatjimmy

Friendliness: %

Postby pilambp » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:48 am

sinicalypse wrote:that's generally a good strategy... but sometimes i just get a feeling about some kids. in '01 it was a guy named mulder. in '02 it was padilla, mainly early on i nthe season... and well, while mulder is almost a lock to be a stud, i have dontrelle willis pegged a tier or two below him.

Interesting. I remember Mulder's rookie year being 2000, not 2001. And I also remember him positng a 5.44 ERA that year, not much of a fantasy stud. If that's the kind of 'rookie performance' you anticipate from Willis, then I don't think dropping Colon was a great move at all.
pilambp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers