Lawton traded soon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Lawton traded soon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lawton traded soon?

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 pm

Report off of rototimes.com

"The Pirates are trying to trade Matt Lawton before the July 31 deadline, and several teams apparently have expressed interest, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette."

I know Lawton is anything real special but maybe a trade the a better team (Yankees?) could boost his value a bit.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:18 pm

Yanks do not have any prospects to give...or at least that they should be willing to give up for someone like Lawton. Unless the Pirates are looking at giving him away for cash, I would tend to doubt it, but you never know with Clueless Brian.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:23 pm

Maybe the Yanks would trade Duncan straight-up for Lawton. That's something I'd like to see. Makes as much sense as throwing $17M a year at one-year wonders like Pavano and Jaret Wright...

On a side note, I did hear that the Dodgers were interested. Probably even more so if they lose Drew for the season.
Last edited by Big Pimpin on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RugbyD » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:24 pm

Getting on bas in front of D Lee and eventually nomar could help some.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:30 pm

Yanks would be nuts to trade Duncan for Lawton. Lawton is not even someone you can play regularly in the OF as he has had problems with his knees if memory serves me right.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:32 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Yanks would be nuts to trade Duncan for Lawton. Lawton is not even someone you can play regularly in the OF as he has had problems with his knees if memory serves me right.

I completely agree. I just wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for the Yanks to make a move that might be considered "nuts."
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AT » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:03 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yanks would be nuts to trade Duncan for Lawton. Lawton is not even someone you can play regularly in the OF as he has had problems with his knees if memory serves me right.

I completely agree. I just wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility for the Yanks to make a move that might be considered "nuts."

I'm sorry but when you say 1 year wonders like Wright and Pavano you're using hindsight with Pavano. He was widely regarded by baseball people to be the best pitcher on the market in the off season and he not only won 18 games last year he has had solid postseason success so don't go telling me that the Pavano signing was stupid at the time. Yes it looks bad now but it was a good move at the time. I wouldn't mind signing Lawton because he is solid offensively but I don't think he is necessarily the answer and I'd rather have a guy with better defense.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby uucrook3d » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:09 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

I'm sorry but when you say 1 year wonders like Wright and Pavano you're using hindsight with Pavano. He was widely regarded by baseball people to be the best pitcher on the market in the off season and he not only won 18 games last year he has had solid postseason success so don't go telling me that the Pavano signing was stupid at the time. Yes it looks bad now but it was a good move at the time. I wouldn't mind signing Lawton because he is solid offensively but I don't think he is necessarily the answer and I'd rather have a guy with better defense.

im sorry AT but the pavano signing was not a good one. he had one good year as a 3rd or 4th starter for an nl team in a weak hitting division. the amount of money thrown at him made the deal even worse.
uucrook3d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby EK711 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure Lawton played almost everyday in left last year with the Indians (with the occasional right mixed in). I actually think Lawton would make a decent fit with the Yankees if he could handle the pressure. His OBP has always been pretty good, career .370, and that would look really nice for the mashers in the Bronx to have him on base a good bit. Plus he probably wouldn't cost as much as a bigger name to bring in. Wherever Lawton goes he'll be a pretty decent guy to have in front of big bats.
EK711
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:15 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:

I can honestly say I thought it was a stupid signing since the day the deal was done. I understand "baseball people" thought he was the best pitcher on the market, and I won't argue that at all, it just goes to show how weak the pitching market was this past offseason. Other than Pedro of course.

He had one good season. ONE. I'm not saying he's not a solid 4th or 5th starter, because he certainly is. He had good win numbers and ERA last year, but he was never a dominating-type pitcher. And maybe he did have some success in the postseason, but it's not like he's started 20 games in the playoffs or anything. I'm just saying he's worth nowhere near $10M a year.

All I can say is that I was pissed when I heard the Mariners were "wooing" him, and I was so pumped when he took the Yankees offer over Seattle's. In that respect, I do think it was a "stupid" signing.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers