White Sox deny Schmidt rumors - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

White Sox deny Schmidt rumors

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

White Sox deny Schmidt rumors

Postby strong » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:51 am

'Rumors in Chicago have the White Sox acquiring Jason Schmidt, but the team is denying that a trade is imminent.

''I had a couple of writers come ask me about it,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said. ''Right now, we don't have any intentions to get him. Right now, we don't have anything realistic going on.'''

Source: Daily Southtown

Of course, this doesn't mean a trade won't happen, but... if Schmidt goes to the White Sox, what's the effect on his fantasy value, especially now that he's not the strike out pitcher he once was?
strong
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:57 am

I don't see why the Sox would trade for him. He's been awful this year, he's old and he's injury prone.

And they already have the best starting pitching in the MLB.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:00 am

I'd be surprised if Schmidt doesn't get traded before the deadline but like Bronx said the ChiSox already have great starters. My guess is that he ends up in the NL East.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:01 am

Unless they get him for absolutely nothing I agree with BronX on this one. It makes no sense to the ChiSox and as for fantasy, I'd hate to see him go to the AL in the park that gave up the most HR last year. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby moochman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:29 pm

Just like the season that Schmidt has been having, this trade makes no sense. Why would the one of the best pitching teams in the league waste their time with a mysteriously mediocre pitcher?[/b]
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:01 pm

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 055987.htm

The Giants are actively pursuing potential trade partners, but Colletti reiterated that right-hander Jason Schmidt will not be included in any deal.

"We don't have any intention of trading Jason Schmidt,'' Colletti said. "If we can improve our starting pitching, we've got a chance to put ourselves in a better position in the second half, and I don't think we put ourselves in a better position by trading Jason Schmidt.''[/url]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Soxcess11 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:33 pm

as a Sox fan, I have to disagree, the pitching staff or should I say the 2 Cubans (Contreras and Hernandez) or pretty big question marks right now, El Duque can't decide if he wants to pitch or not and Contreras can't get bad thoughts out of his head, the Sox could easily use a Jason Schmidt and send either Contreras or El Duque to the bullpen, especially if they only have to give up maybe a Carl Everett, Brandon McCarthy or some other minor league prospect. If the Sox get this deal done life will be good on the South side, and that quote about the trade rumor being denied, that was Ozzie Guillen saying that Kenny Williams has not mentioned any of it to him
Soxcess11
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm not so sure Schmidt is going anywhere.
The NL West is far from settled, and SF is actively looking for another pitcher or two.

* Rueter is cooked
* Tomko, who was booted from the rotation last week, is back in the rotation this week.
* Foppert isn't fully recovered from TJ

and, Sabean can't afford to trade Schmidt cus he has nobody else to take the mound.

Hey Sabean, how would Jerome Williams look right about now?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Deuce » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:49 pm

If I were Jason Schmidt, I would not want to get anywhere near AJ Pierzynski. He started Schmidt's down-hill trend last. In fact theSan Francisco rotation still hasn't recovered. Not even (e)radi(c)ation could eliminate that cancer.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:54 pm

LOL!

AJ started this "down hill" trend with the Giants staff? :-? He's sure doing a terrible job with that White Sox staff, let me tell ya.

The cancer was Bomko last season, not AJ. Schmidt had some of his best games, including a 1 hitter, last season with AJ catching him. The staff this year lacks talent, it's a simple as that. Behind Schmidt, there's nothing. Sabean made a knee jerk trade with Williams and Aardsma, Lowry has hit the sophmore slump, and Tomko and Rueter are gas cans. To blame AJ for this season's struggles when he isnt even on the team is idiotic.
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers