How can they send Santana back to the pen??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How can they send Santana back to the pen???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How can they send Santana back to the pen???

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:44 pm

I have Johan Santana on my team. I had planned to keep him through tonite's start, then drop him to make room for Webb coming off the DL.

How can I possibly do that now given the way he is pitching?? Through 5 innings, he has only given up 2 hits and 1 BB, has 5 K's, and his season ERA is now 2.34. I am seriously considering just leaving Webb on the DL until this situation works itself out. I obviously don't want to drop an established starter instead of Santana if he's headed back to the pen, but how can they send him back pitching like this?

Anyone have any thoughts? My other pitchers are Zito, Oswalt, Leiter, Willis, Lohse, Clement, Guardado, Kim, Julio and Looper in a H2H, 5x5 league.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:49 pm

I still don't know why they signed Kenny Rogers.

Unfortunately, unless there is a lengthy injury, Santana goes back to the pen and becomes fantasy's Most Valuable Worthless Player.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:53 pm

See, as a Mets fan, I realize that a pitcher can go down at absolutely any time!!! I gotta think that even assuming that Reed comes back alright in a week, Rogers has at least one DL trip in him for the year. Plus, how can they justify sending Joe Mays and his 5.40 ERA out there every fifth day, while Johan cools his heels in the pen???
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:58 pm

I think eventually Johan will take the spot of either Radke or Reed...I was also in your position with Johan and Webb, so I dropped an extra offensive player...I now have a stacked pitching staff, however I hope none of my infielders get hurt because I have no backups ;-) I think Johan has made his case known, and he will have a starting job...maybe not right away, but remember he will get another start out of reed's injury I believe...another solid outing and I bet they'll give it to him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby eftda » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:59 pm

i hear hat u guys r saying but the twins thought tha Sanntana would still need 1 more year in the pen, so they signed rogers, i think after another start they will look to trade one starter so they can keep Santana in the rotation

hey he is on 4 of my fantasy teams
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:01 am

And, unless I read the schedule wrong, that next start is against the Diamondbacks at home. If everyone stays on pace, Santana should be facing John Patterson and his 8+ ERA. Somehow, I think he has a pretty good chance of winning that one.

OK, I think Webb's stay on my DL will be a bit longer than anticipated. Maybe I can trade off one of my pitchers to upgrade an offensive position. Since most of my league is hurting for pitching, why throw a perectly good starter to one of them on the waiver pile?
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Leiter Fan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:11 am

And now they pull him after only 82 pitches thrown? What's the deal???
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:20 am

They typically don't let him pitch long, you have to remember, he's technically not a starter, he's not used to the high pitch counts. He gave up a run, so I'm sure that made the decision easier (no chance for shutout). They have a solid bullpen, don't worry I'm sure he will get the win. If he gets the starting job, as the season goes on he'll probably be able to throw longer and longer.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:57 am

santana is the best starter on the twins... but yet, the enigma is that they see him as the supersub. i just don't get it. last year he was pretty much incredible... this season, they go get the damn fat bearded gambler... o hoped that santana would replace milton... but no ,they need a veteran guy to come in and go 6-10, as opposed to this young kid who will easily strikeout more than 9 per nine innings pitched and probably get better with experience and, ARE YOU LISTENING, GARDSIE? CONFIDENCE!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers