Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

My Slumping Seattle Pilots

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Slumping Seattle Pilots

Postby Ron Santo » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:32 pm

Hello,
My keeper team, The Seattle Pilots, is in the midst of a 3 week slump which hit a low with a 8-3 loss to the last place team this week.
Top Six teams make the playoffs, and I am tied for fifth at this point with #7 and #8 within striking distance. What can I do to improve this club? We keep six players, no more than two at any position and I like my options there- but I feel I may need to make a big trade to have a shot at the title this season.
12 team league.
Categories:
Hitting: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, CG, SHO, K, ERA, WHIP

Seattle Pilots
C: Barrett
1B: Helton
2B: Vidro
3B: Huff
SS: Rollins
OF: M.Cabrera, C.Lee, Burrell
UTIL: V.Wells, Hunter, Morneau
Reserves: Reyes, Overbay, Biggio,
DL: Freel, Garciaparra

SP: Santana, Harden, Burnett, Zito, Haren, Millwood, Westbrook, Vazquez,
RP: Ryan, Street, MacDougal

As you can see, my main problem is "stud" hitters performing well below expectations.
Available Hitters include: Cano, Vizquel, E.Brown, Lofton, Monroe, and Kielty. Slim Pickens.

Thanks for any advice, post a link to your topic and I'll add my two cents.
Last edited by Ron Santo on Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mk99 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Huff is a second half player. He will turn around and improve greatly. try to pacakge some of you reserves and starters to get a better starter. SPs look solid, but RPs need work. Someone in my league traded Santana for Burnett and a solid RP, Dempster i think, but he was desperate for SVs
mk99
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ron Santo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Well, I was able to swing a deal:

Seattle Pilots trade: OF Larry Walker, SP Jamie Moyer, and a 2006 Second Round Draft Choice (We keep 7 players from 12 teams, so draft isn't very strong)
to
Castle Rock Kings for: SP Javier Vazquez and RP BJ Ryan.

Thoughts?
"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."-- Rogers Hornsby
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Knicks4ever » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:03 pm

good deal, who do u intend on keeping for next year
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ron Santo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:11 pm

I will be keeping Cabrera, C.Lee, Santana, and Harden for sure.
After that- I have Helton, Morneau, Rollins, and Huff for the last two slots- I'll see how the rest of the season shakes out.
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Knicks4ever » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:25 pm

i think u need to upgrade ur offence,
if i was in ur situation i would try to trade some of ur good players for another young stud or two to keep next year so u have a real soild core next year
Knicks4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Ron Santo wrote:Well, I was able to swing a deal:

Seattle Pilots trade: OF Larry Walker, SP Jamie Moyer, and a 2006 Second Round Draft Choice (We keep 7 players from 12 teams, so draft isn't very strong)
to

Thoughts?
Great deal ;-D Walker and Moyer aren't that valuable and you get a K pitcher and a closer. The 2nd rounder might hurt next year but you really improved your team this year.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Ron Santo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:47 pm

I don't usually like to trade picks for short term help, but I felt I really needed to upgrade to be a contender this season. The addition of Ryan gives me a solid group of closers, espescially since I punted saves at the draft B-)

With Vidro off the DL and hopefully Freel returning soon, I seem to have surplus of second basemen. What kind of player should I target in return for Biggio or Reyes? I don't see any obvious weak spots on my team, but is there one I'm missing?
Ron Santo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby baseballjock08 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:42 pm

Ron Santo wrote:Well, I was able to swing a deal:

to

Thoughts?

NICE that was a HELL of a deal!!! Everything looks good for you the only thing I would do is try trading Barrett for another 2nd half catcher and pick up Emil Brown. Other than that you have a HELL of a team!!! :-D
Go O's!!!!!!!! University of Miami Baseball All The Way!!! And of Course Baltimore Blueclaws and the Maryland Orioles (Metro)!!!!!!!!! ,

Craig
baseballjock08
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby Semantic » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:00 pm

I would also say that you could do with some sluggers. You could upgrade at catcher, although there aren't really any prime candidates out there for your type of league. Your pitching looks solid. I say go for a good catcher (varitek? short term - one or two years, I don't see him producing beyond that). Good luck

Thanks for the help.
Semantic
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team