Why play in a free fantasy baseball league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ajax » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:06 pm

Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Two reasons. One, it's free. Two, it's fun.

Why play in a money league?

Two reasons. One, it's fun. Two, I might win more money than I paid to get into the league.

Since both types of league are fun, those reasons cancel out, so we're left with "it's free" vs. the potential for profit. If I win a free league, I get a $0 payout, but didn't lose any money , just time and effort. If I don't win the free league, I get the exact same thing. If I win a money league, I'm rewarded for the time and effort that I put into it. Of course, if I don't win the money league, I'm worse off than I would have been if I'd played the free league instead.

If fantasy baseball wasn't fun, and all I cared about was a payoff for my time and effort, I'd just forget about it, and go get a part-time job during baseball season. That way, I'd get a sure pay-off for my time and effort.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:41 pm

Ajax wrote:Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Two reasons. One, it's free. Two, it's fun.

Why play in a money league?

Two reasons. One, it's fun. Two, I might win more money than I paid to get into the league.

Since both types of league are fun, those reasons cancel out, so we're left with "it's free" vs. the potential for profit. If I win a free league, I get a $0 payout, but didn't lose any money , just time and effort. If I don't win the free league, I get the exact same thing. If I win a money league, I'm rewarded for the time and effort that I put into it. Of course, if I don't win the money league, I'm worse off than I would have been if I'd played the free league instead.

If fantasy baseball wasn't fun, and all I cared about was a payoff for my time and effort, I'd just forget about it, and go get a part-time job during baseball season. That way, I'd get a sure pay-off for my time and effort.

absolutely a great post ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Postby The Jury » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:50 pm

oukurt wrote:Seems like a total waste of effort. Football I could understand. You can get away with letting your team go for a few weeks. But fantasy baseball is a part time job sometimes. I notice all the free leagues (even dynasty/keeper freebies) in the classifieds forum. I mean have everyone ante up at least 5 or 10 bucks to make it worthwhile.

Joe: Hey I won a fantasy baseball league.
Schmoe: Oh cool, what did you win?
Joe: Nothing
Schmoe: Oh.......neat

Someone explain why so many dedicate so much time to free leagues. I know the obvious reason, but cmon.

I play in a friends league, so we play for bragging rights and trash talking, etc. If we put money on it, there'd probably be squabbles about things like trades, which wouldn't be productive for our group.

In your little convo there between Joe and Schmoe, that's be Joe involved in a public league. Friends leagues are FUN :D
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:55 pm

oukurt wrote:Boy I sure got some of you free league guys fired up. Seriously, why so defensive and combative?
And if this question is so stupid, why are you answering it?
I guess it didn't fall into your definition of a question that really makes you think like...."Hey bubba, do ya think my favorite 1st baseman will hit me a homer today?"
Must of struck a deep nerve with the penny pinchers that went on a rant. Take a valium and pass out already.

Careful. The way you're backpeddling, you're liable to fall over.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers