Why play in a free fantasy baseball league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby toofunnyy » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:15 pm

Not to mention I'm a little uneasy about sending $50 to a stranger to join a money league. If you can't find a local one, it's not that easy to find a trustworthy league.
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby oukurt » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:16 pm

"Why play HR derby with your friends if the winner doesn’t' t get paid?"

People still play HR Derby? Cool.

"Why did Mortimer bet his brother only $1 dollar in Trading Places?"

You do realize that some stuff in movies is make believe right?

"How are you going to perfect your skills with out losing cash?"

Is this a trick question?
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Hey Kurt, why are you on here? You're just wasting your time with this post... you aren't making any money. ;-7

"I'm a high roller, and I'm so good that I only play money leagues. I'll spam the fantasy forum and continue to tell people their opinions don't make sense after the question was already answered." ;-D
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nuggets » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:31 pm

oukurt wrote:"Why play HR derby with your friends if the winner doesn’t' t get paid?"

People still play HR Derby? Cool.

So you're going to remain ignorant and not think about that ?

oukurt wrote:"Why did Mortimer bet his brother only $1 dollar in Trading Places?"

You do realize that some stuff in movies is make believe right?

No, I didn't. I though Trading Places was a reality show. Have you even seen it?

This point is movies illustrate situations in life, one dollar bets to signify competition happen all the time.

oukurt wrote:"How are you going to perfect your skills with out losing cash?"

Is this a trick question?

Think of playing free online poker for a bit to get the hang of it so minimize losses when you do play for real.

Open your mind grumpy ;-)

ocmusicjunkie wrote:Hey Kurt, why are you on here? You're just wasting your time with this post... you aren't making any money. ;-7

"I'm a high roller, and I'm so good that I only play money leagues. I'll spam the fantasy forum and continue to tell people their opinions don't make sense after the question was already answered." ;-D

lmao
Last edited by nuggets on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:32 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:Im in 4 leagues that I pay attention to. I only make roster changes daily in 3 of those leagues. My top league is a $50/team buy in with 14 teams. Thats the league I really spend alot of time on, making trades and pickups. Id say the cash makes the amount of time spent on fantasy go up exponentially. I know its worth every penny for the amount of enjoyment I get. Im currently in first which makes the money even more enjoyable, hopefully I end up first (currently up by 8.5 games).

Same situation, I have 4 main leagues with a $50 buy-in, 14-team money league in which I pay most attention to by far. The others I just set my lineups and really don't care how my players do, just winning in the end would be a bonus. A $500 pot makes you pay alot of attention and be very active.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:49 pm

Like anything else, it really depends.

Money leagues are far better imo because it keeps interest up and the non-serious player out.

Free leagues are fine also if you are with a bunch of guys you know that are good fantasy players. Playing for bragging rights is fine. More people will drop out as the season goes on, but tha is OK.

Of course if you play with idiots, there is no point.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby baseballnewb » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm in four leagues and the only thing I get for any of them are bragging rights and I pay strict attention to all of them. Fantasy baseball is about fun, not making money to me. As soon as you add money to a league everyone gets way too serious and it tends to be a lot less fun.
Last edited by baseballnewb on Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:00 pm

Well this is a ridiculous thread.

Why do anything for anything? People play because they enjoy it, and it's fun. Glad I could help.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Phatferd » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:03 pm

He's still bitter that USC destroyed OU in the Orange Bowl still.

Fight On!!
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby swyck » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:05 pm

oukurt wrote:
rotterdam_82 wrote:Because its fun?

Are you asking me? Of course it is fun. But wouldn't you also agree that it can be time consuming? I guess I just don't have the mindset to take satisfaction in winning a league and getting nothing as a reward. I am just a dog that demands his treat after he performs his trick.
By the way, I am not trying to be a Dickie Roberts by asking this question. I seriously want to know the answer.

Thanks

Seriously, If you have to ask this question, I dont think you can understand the answer.

Since you asked, I'll try anyway.

The effort is its own reward -- learning to play a musical instrument with no hope of being "discovered", growing tomatoes when you don't really save any money. stamp collecting, model trains, playing in a softball or basketball game, skiing or hang gliding, playing Quake online, etc. There is usually no financial rewards in these activities, and even if there is, its just icing on the cake.

Sure its time consuming, but if you enjoy it, the time spent is not noticable. B-)
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers