Why play in a free fantasy baseball league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Postby oukurt » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:26 pm

Seems like a total waste of effort. Football I could understand. You can get away with letting your team go for a few weeks. But fantasy baseball is a part time job sometimes. I notice all the free leagues (even dynasty/keeper freebies) in the classifieds forum. I mean have everyone ante up at least 5 or 10 bucks to make it worthwhile.

Joe: Hey I won a fantasy baseball league.
Schmoe: Oh cool, what did you win?
Joe: Nothing
Schmoe: Oh.......neat

Someone explain why so many dedicate so much time to free leagues. I know the obvious reason, but cmon.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cleveland Steamers » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Im in 4 leagues that I pay attention to. I only make roster changes daily in 3 of those leagues. My top league is a $50/team buy in with 14 teams. Thats the league I really spend alot of time on, making trades and pickups. Id say the cash makes the amount of time spent on fantasy go up exponentially. I know its worth every penny for the amount of enjoyment I get. Im currently in first which makes the money even more enjoyable, hopefully I end up first (currently up by 8.5 games).
Cleveland Steamers
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Location: Everywhere...looking for a job in baseball...or fantasy sports...

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:29 pm

Because if you're 13 years old (which is the minimum age requirement for these boards), you may not have $5-10 to blow on Fantasy Baseball.

I keep myself to one league per year, myself. A keeper money league that I've been in going on 7 years now, but there's certainly no reason why money is anything near a necessity to enjoy fantasy baseball. And, if people don't want to make it a "part time job" as you described it sometimes as being, and want to do it at leisure, there's no need to throw money into it.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby rotterdam_82 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:32 pm

Because its fun?
Rate my team, leave me a link!
[url=http://fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=168349]English Villains[/url]
rotterdam_82
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:35 pm

rotterdam_82 wrote:Because its fun?

Sounds good to me. ;-D

Also for bragging rights.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby oukurt » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:38 pm

Are you asking me? Of course it is fun. But wouldn't you also agree that it can be time consuming? I guess I just don't have the mindset to take satisfaction in winning a league and getting nothing as a reward. I am just a dog that demands his treat after he performs his trick.
By the way, I am not trying to be a Dickie Roberts by asking this question. I seriously want to know the answer.

Thanks
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby murphysxm » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:41 pm

I do them because they are good research for my money leagues. Let's me see what players are over and undervalued. You can get a pretty good feel for what's going on without messing up yoru money.

Plus I lobe drafting
Don't think meat it can only hurt the team
murphysxm
College Coach
College Coach

Football Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Postby reiser » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:50 pm

oukurt wrote:Seems like a total waste of effort. Football I could understand. You can get away with letting your team go for a few weeks. But fantasy baseball is a part time job sometimes. I notice all the free leagues (even dynasty/keeper freebies) in the classifieds forum. I mean have everyone ante up at least 5 or 10 bucks to make it worthwhile.

Someone explain why so many dedicate so much time to free leagues. I know the obvious reason, but cmon.

My one money league is a local league, so that makes the cash handling a lot easier. I suppose you could paypal the thing, but I see that really as the hindrance.

but i agree, i prefer doing a money league. never seen a dead team yet!
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby ocmusicjunkie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:51 pm

oukurt wrote:

Are you asking me? Of course it is fun. But wouldn't you also agree that it can be time consuming? I guess I just don't have the mindset to take satisfaction in winning a league and getting nothing as a reward. I am just a dog that demands his treat after he performs his trick.
By the way, I am not trying to be a Dickie Roberts by asking this question. I seriously want to know the answer.

Thanks

So if it's fun, it's still not worthwhile unless you're getting paid for it? Wow... so you've never experienced things such as movies, cable tv, (internet), ect? I mean... those are time consuming, and not only do you not get paid, they cost money! (gasp!)

Free leagues can actually be more fun. It's easier to get a big group of friends together if there is no cost involved.
Help please:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1086524#1086524

Harden- 2.15 ERA, 7.61 K/9
Peavy - 2.89 ERA, 10.10 K/9

[b]Lets go Rich![/b]
ocmusicjunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Why play in a free fantasy baseball league?

Postby nuggets » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:02 pm

oukurt wrote:Seems like a total waste of effort. Football I could understand. You can get away with letting your team go for a few weeks. But fantasy baseball is a part time job sometimes. I notice all the free leagues (even dynasty/keeper freebies) in the classifieds forum. I mean have everyone ante up at least 5 or 10 bucks to make it worthwhile.

What a complete lack of either experience and/or perception. How about this. Why play HR derby with your friends if the winner doesn’t' t get paid?

Because of the spirit of competition, the drive to get better.

And answer these two for yourself:
Why did Mortimer bet his brother only $1 dollar in Trading Places?

How are you going to perfect your skills with out losing cash?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers