War of the Worlds = I hate Spielberg - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

War of the Worlds = I hate Spielberg

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

War of the Worlds = I hate Spielberg

Postby Irish » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:14 pm

So I got to see this movie and it's freaking great. Scary as hell, excellent effects, great acting, two thumbs up all around.

Then........

the last hurried, unexplainable crap filled 5 minutes ruins the entire thing for me. Did anyone else get seriously pissed???

A few questions for those that saw it:

-----SPOILER ALERT / AVERT EYES --------

1) How in the hell did the son get back, let alone not die? Care to explain!?!?!?

2) The aliens caught a cold? Huh? The shields went down why? I understand the crappy metaphor of the movie (the small things go unnoticed but are the most important blah blah blah) But if we spent 2 and a half hours watching this could you take 5 minutes to explain WTF just happened?

3) Notice how the mother/grandparents are just chilling in their untouched nice apartment in their nice clothes, just chilling out while everyone is chaotically running away? WTF is that about?

It's rare that a movie this good can suddenly turn into crap, but I was seriously pissed after this movie ended, which I hate to say cause everything up to it was sooooo good.

It's like they ran out of set time and said "I guess we better finish it up. Have the wind turned up loud so you can barely understand what is going on with the shields and then shoot em down. Oh yeah, then bring the son back so no one leaves the theatre in a bad mood. Great! That's a wrap, who wants lunch?"

Spielberg, please get someone to finish your movies for you. After AI and this, you are seriously pissing me off.
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Yeah, I agree completely - it was really abrupt. I suppose I can buy that they were affected by our microorganisms (although, are their body structures similar enough to Earth organism's that they'd even be affected?), but I still don't get why the shields went down.

No idea what the heck the son was doing there at the end. As far as I was concerned, he'd died a while ago.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:19 pm

Thats what I've been saying. This movie could have been so much better with a better ending. The movie is an entire buildup, but then we realize that it's a buildup to nothing.
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:25 pm

This was one of the few movies that I liked in the last couple of months... untill the ending. :-t :-t Two thumbs down for a horrible finish.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:32 pm

Some of these short reviews mention that the ending ruined this movie, well you obviously have never read the book before. I agree it is a bit anti-climatic, but I would rather Spielberg keep the original ending than play around with it in an attempt to make it "cooler" for the modern day. The plot in this movie compared to the book very well, which I believe is a good thing that Spielberg did, in keeping with the cleverness of the original writers of War of the Worlds.
Outstanding movie in my opinion, with a decent story, great special effects, and good acting. Very suspenseful at times.

In comparing it with Batman Begins, I'd say it is atleast as good, and maybe even better.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:00 am

mweir145 wrote:Some of these short reviews mention that the ending ruined this movie, well you obviously have never read the book before. I agree it is a bit anti-climatic, but I would rather Spielberg keep the original ending than play around with it in an attempt to make it "cooler" for the modern day.

Exactly. Spielberg was simply recreating the movie with today's stuff. He didn't really change much from the book. He obviously added the EMP stuff, since that hadn't been discovered then. By and large, though, Spielberg left the movie intact, including the ending.

You have to understand a couple of things:

1) At the time (1930's), this ending for this movie was extremely original.
2) The ending and this movie are forever tied together. When you think War of the Worlds, you think of the unique ending.

Changing the ending of this movie would be like changing the ending of Sixth Sense just because that ending wasn't so trendy anymore. You can't do that. When you think Sixth Sense, you think, "Oh my God! Bruce Willis is dead!!!"

The same thing goes for War of the Worlds. It's a classic, and altering is practically blashphemy.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby eftda » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:12 am

How does the book end?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:45 am

eftda wrote:How does the book end?

Same way.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby theskaboss » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:25 am

JTWood wrote:

Same way.

Good, if they changed the way the book had it for that crap...it'd suck....
theskaboss
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:49 am

theskaboss wrote:
JTWood wrote:

Same way.

Good, if they changed the way the book had it for that crap...it'd suck....

Spielberg even copied the exact ending from the movie when the alien's hand fell out of the ship. That was straight from the black-and-white.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk