Who is AL MVP thusfar? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is AL MVP thusfar?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL MVP?

Brian Roberts
15
21%
Alex Rodriguez
13
18%
Mark Teixeira
4
6%
Vlad Guerrero
5
7%
Miguel Tejada
22
31%
David Ortiz
12
17%
Michael Young
1
1%
 
Total votes : 72

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:38 am

blankman wrote:
Matthias wrote:yes, well, so far, the yankees aren't making the playoffs. and if you say it's early... well, then, so are alex's stats. the FIRST HALF mvp, as i said earlier, i like tejada as the clubhouse glue of a very improved o's squad.


You're being silly. Roberts has posted a better season than Tejada and so has Alex Rodriguez.

And agreed with Bronx about you contridicting yourself there.



i was pointing out a contradiction inherent in one of blankman's earlier posts where he said that if the yankees go to the playoffs, then rodriguez should be the mvp. however, since we're talking the first half, the yankees are NOT going to the playoffs if the season ended at the ASB. so then rodriguez would NOT be the mvp. and i was anticipating an argument of, "well, the yankees still might turn it around and win the east and that would make rodriguez mvp material." but if you follow that train of thought, then you also can't say that rodriguez's stats will necessarily project into the second half of the season.

get it?

and, contrary to roto statheads, the mvp is not always the best statistical season. they don't just ring up bill james and say, "hey, who had the best numbers this year?" like pro bowls, all star nominations, and everything else, there's reputational intangibles on how you affect your team. and (i could be wrong here, but it's what i've read) to a man the o's squad has placed their success at the plate of tejada. and that is something that writers consider when making their decision. (is it how i would decide? no. read a dozen posts above for that). but it's how it's done. like me & this thread.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:52 am

Matthias wrote:and, contrary to roto statheads, the mvp is not always the best statistical season. they don't just ring up bill james and say, "hey, who had the best numbers this year?"

Maybe they should...
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3092
Joined: 15 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: crusing down the street in my six-fo'

Postby so0perspam » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:54 am

Matthias wrote: and you're both entitled your opinion.


Keep the insults out of it please.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8653
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bay Area

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:50 am

Matthias wrote:
blankman wrote:
Matthias wrote:yes, well, so far, the yankees aren't making the playoffs. and if you say it's early... well, then, so are alex's stats. the FIRST HALF mvp, as i said earlier, i like tejada as the clubhouse glue of a very improved o's squad.


You're being silly. Roberts has posted a better season than Tejada and so has Alex Rodriguez.

And agreed with Bronx about you contridicting yourself there.



i was pointing out a contradiction inherent in one of blankman's earlier posts where he said that if the yankees go to the playoffs, then rodriguez should be the mvp. however, since we're talking the first half, the yankees are NOT going to the playoffs if the season ended at the ASB. so then rodriguez would NOT be the mvp. and i was anticipating an argument of, "well, the yankees still might turn it around and win the east and that would make rodriguez mvp material." but if you follow that train of thought, then you also can't say that rodriguez's stats will necessarily project into the second half of the season.

get it?

and, contrary to roto statheads, the mvp is not always the best statistical season. they don't just ring up bill james and say, "hey, who had the best numbers this year?" like pro bowls, all star nominations, and everything else, there's reputational intangibles on how you affect your team. and (i could be wrong here, but it's what i've read) to a man the o's squad has placed their success at the plate of tejada. and that is something that writers consider when making their decision. (is it how i would decide? no. read a dozen posts above for that). but it's how it's done. like me & this thread.


You're taking things far too literally.

When the first half MVP is discussed, the conversation is bound to also discuss what will happen in the future and decide the same award at the end of the year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:51 am

HOOTIE wrote:Sheffield has really gotton into the mix. He's tied with Roberts with most win shares in al. He also leads in RC with 80, Arod and Ortiz 74, Roberts 73. RC/G has Sheffield at 9.9, Roberts 9.6, Arod 9.1. Tejada has 69 RC, and 8.0 RC/G. Roberts, Arod, Sheffield are all close for mvp.


Good point about Sheffield. He's certainly in the running.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Box » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:03 am

I really don't think Ortiz should be included in the MVP discussion. Yes, his batting numbers are outstanding but correct me if I'm wrong here. Defense is half of the game. Giving MVP to a guy who doesnt play the field is ludacris.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1510
Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucksox » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:43 pm

I think Arods stats make him the favorite at the mid point.
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 540
Joined: 6 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:41 pm

Box wrote:I really don't think Ortiz should be included in the MVP discussion. Yes, his batting numbers are outstanding but correct me if I'm wrong here. Defense is half of the game. Giving MVP to a guy who doesnt play the field is ludacris.


not ludicrous. how many mvp awards have been given out because of defensive acumen? i would say it would be harder for a DH to win the mvp (looks like it's never happened) but when that player is dominating the rest of the league, then that's the guy. if there's someone who has a sparkling bat and also a defensive wizard, then that's extra points. but if, say, david ortiz and jason giambi had the same stats at the end of the year... the fact that giambi spent some time flailing at first... still would be a tossup in my mind. if david ortiz and torii hunter had the same stats: different story.

but if you really want to say that if barry bonds had spent his last four seasons DH'ing for some AL club, and had the same offensive stats, and he SHOULDN'T have gotten the mvp in those seasons? now... THAT is ludicrous.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 4860
Joined: 16 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:12 pm

Matthias wrote:
Box wrote:I really don't think Ortiz should be included in the MVP discussion. Yes, his batting numbers are outstanding but correct me if I'm wrong here. Defense is half of the game. Giving MVP to a guy who doesnt play the field is ludacris.


not ludicrous. how many mvp awards have been given out because of defensive acumen? i would say it would be harder for a DH to win the mvp (looks like it's never happened) but when that player is dominating the rest of the league, then that's the guy. if there's someone who has a sparkling bat and also a defensive wizard, then that's extra points. but if, say, david ortiz and jason giambi had the same stats at the end of the year... the fact that giambi spent some time flailing at first... still would be a tossup in my mind. if david ortiz and torii hunter had the same stats: different story.

but if you really want to say that if barry bonds had spent his last four seasons DH'ing for some AL club, and had the same offensive stats, and he SHOULDN'T have gotten the mvp in those seasons? now... THAT is ludicrous.


But Ortiz hasn't ever had and doesn't this year have offensive numbers that blow everyone out of the water like Bonds did. (I know you didn't say he does, just elaborating).

He won't win it with competive numbers as a DH IMHO. He'd have to completely dominate everyone like Bonds did and he just won't do that with so many other excellent players out there.

I just don't think a DH ever could win the MVP unless his numbers completely trumped everyone.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:46 pm

Tejada
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact