Miguel Tejada
31%
David Ortiz
17%
Michael Young
1%

Total votes : 72

Postby WharfRat » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:20 am

baseball6791 wrote: I love both tejada and BRob and think that they are both special players having special seasons, but the thing that swings it for me goes back to the literal meaning of the award. MVP, Most Valuable Player, the guy who if his team didnt have him would fall apart. for the orioles that guy is tejada, not BRob. tejada is the consistent producer, the fabulous and undisputed leader and clubhouse presence. he plays hard all the time and every day (has the streak for most games played among active players i believe :-? ). he is the glue for that team.

I agree completely. BRob is having an incredible season, but how much are his stats based on a hot streak in the beginning of the season? His OPS has declined every month of the season so far, and it will probably continue to decline (and so far he's having an ice-cold June). I'll take a team leader and consistent producer over a guy who's having an admittedly great season but played at his best in April. Tejada is Mr. Oriole.

Although Lord knows it's a crapshoot as to who gets it at the end of the year. This most important months are still to come - Miggy won his MVP on the strength of his play after the ASB, so we'll see who gets hot in a month.

either Pujols (no one is performing well around him besides Reggie)

or

Derrek (if he can keep it up)

The thread is about AL MVP.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Matthias » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:35 am

baseball6791 wrote:I love both tejada and BRob and think that they are both special players having special seasons, but the thing that swings it for me goes back to the literal meaning of the award. MVP, Most Valuable Player, the guy who if his team didnt have him would fall apart. for the orioles that guy is tejada, not BRob. tejada is the consistent producer, the fabulous and undisputed leader and clubhouse presence. he plays hard all the time and every day (has the streak for most games played among active players i believe :-? ). he is the glue for that team.
thats just my reasoning. i really wouldnt mind if it went to either of them though.

right on. there's a good discussion that can be had as to whether or not the MVP is awarded correctly each year... personally, i think it should be on the basis of, if you asked every GM in baseball at the end of a given year, who they wish they had on their team that last year, bing, that's your MVP. BUT the writers always hate giving it to a good player on a bad team (a.k.a. a-rod in texas) so that leaves tejada as the real leader (at least, from clubhouse quotes) of the orioles. not to take anything away from the white sox, but there's noone that gets talked about in the same way as the glue of the team.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 pm

How about Arod hitting another so called meaningless hr with NY way ahead. Game winning shot off Boston tonight.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:38 pm

I'm being biased right now because I'm taking A-Rod, but you can't go wrong with B-Rob either.

I do think that it'll be A-Rod after the season, maybe that's slightly weighing my decision. :-? And completely agree with HOOTIE, look at the stats before you make your case that A-Rod doesn't do anything in close games.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby blankman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:42 pm

At this point its a tossup between Roberts and Alex.

By the end of the year, if the Yankees make the playoffs, I think Alex wins it. I just don't think Roberts can hit .370 or whatever it is all year.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm

yes, well, so far, the yankees aren't making the playoffs. and if you say it's early... well, then, so are alex's stats. the FIRST HALF mvp, as i said earlier, i like tejada as the clubhouse glue of a very improved o's squad.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:50 pm

Matthias wrote:yes, well, so far, the yankees aren't making the playoffs. and if you say it's early... well, then, so are alex's stats. the FIRST HALF mvp, as i said earlier, i like tejada as the clubhouse glue of a very improved o's squad.

How are you going to say Alex's stats are early when we're talking about the first half MVP? You contridicted yourself in consecutive statements.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:19 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Matthias wrote:yes, well, so far, the yankees aren't making the playoffs. and if you say it's early... well, then, so are alex's stats. the FIRST HALF mvp, as i said earlier, i like tejada as the clubhouse glue of a very improved o's squad.

How are you going to say Alex's stats are early when we're talking about the first half MVP? You contridicted yourself in consecutive statements.

First Half MVP eh?

Well that's too tough a decision to make but I guess I'd lean towards AROD because of his stats, and the way he seems to be taking the team on his shoulders back into the front of the AL East, right now.

Let's just wait and see how the season finishes though..
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby blankman » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:23 am

You're being silly. Roberts has posted a better season than Tejada and so has Alex Rodriguez.

And agreed with Bronx about you contridicting yourself there.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:06 am

Sheffield has really gotton into the mix. He's tied with Roberts with most win shares in al. He also leads in RC with 80, Arod and Ortiz 74, Roberts 73. RC/G has Sheffield at 9.9, Roberts 9.6, Arod 9.1. Tejada has 69 RC, and 8.0 RC/G. Roberts, Arod, Sheffield are all close for mvp.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers