Miguel Tejada
31%
David Ortiz
17%
Michael Young
1%

Total votes : 72

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 pm

George_Foreman wrote:tejada or (uh oh...) paul konerko for me. i actually think i'd go with konerko because no one outside of him has clearly stepped up for the chicago offense which has been missing one of its most productive bats in magglio ordonez all year. their success has been amazing, and while tejada pushing the orioles to the top of the AL east has been impressive, he's had the help of a crazy start from roberts.

whats more, konerko's numbers are hardly worse than tejada's: 19 hrs vs. 19 hrs. and 60 rbi vs. 53 for konerko. moreover, without konerko, chicago would have had a big bat in their lineup: maggs has been out, rowand has been disappointing (well, until recently), and the big hurt has been more hurt" than "big".

the white sox are running away with what many thought would be a hotly contested division, and paul konerko has a lot to do with that. he gets my vote. ;-D

and may i ask my friend, what is konerko's BA?
I'm going with tejada. he is just a flat out stud. he performs in the clutch, puts up big numbers, and is the undisputed leader of a surprise team in a very tough division.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:05 pm

Looking at the numbers, guys, I'm retracting my original statement.

It's got to be Brian Roberts. And it's not really that close, either. He's putting together an amazing 1st half. Change my vote to BRob.

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 pm

I chose Roberts also. Here at the Win Shares at this point from Hardball Times:

Brian Roberts 19
Alex Rodriguez 16
Miguel Tejada 15
Mark Teixeira 13
Vlad Guerrero 13
David Ortiz 13
Michael Young 10

Not that the voters look at Win Shares but I like it. :-D

Notable omissions:

Gary Sheffield 15
Manny Ramirez 14
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 pm

i'm confused. tejada's numbers are only marginally better than konerko's this year (well, looking at OBP rather than BA, anyways), and no one even blinks when he's included. i would argue that konerko's contribution to the chicago lineup has been just as if not more essentially to the success of the chicago lineup than tejada's has to baltimore's. moreover, who else on chicago has been hitting? i can't think of a player on that team out side of konerko and iguchi who isn't underperforming. he's carrying that offense....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:11 pm

YOU may be looking at OBP...speak for yourself as a 246 hitter is not getting anyone's MVP vote I should think.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:13 pm

well, you might be right that the public won't accept that... but since we're talking about the "real" MVP or whatever, i'll take that .350 OBP any day. ;-D

and incidentlly, i did say that i was talking about OBP rather than BA... no need to get snippy. :-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:16 pm

George_Foreman wrote:well, you might be right that the public won't accept that... but since we're talking about the "real" MVP or whatever, i'll take that .350 OBP any day. ;-D

and incidentlly, i did say that i was talking about OBP rather than BA... no need to get snippy. :-)

OBP and power is just a small part of the picture. Looking at Win Shares, Konerko is right in line with Coco Crisp. He's not having a BAD season, per se, but he's definitely not MVP-worthy right now.

Maybe by the end of the year...who knows?
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:17 pm

George_Foreman wrote:well, you might be right that the public won't accept that... but since we're talking about the "real" MVP or whatever, i'll take that .350 OBP any day. ;-D

A .350 OBP is good for only 31st in the AL :-? What's so great about that?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:30 pm

blankman wrote:

Well, I believe he was comparing Konerko's OBP to Tejada's OBP.

If you use OBP instead of AVG, Tejada and Konerko have similar numbers.
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:35 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:
blankman wrote:

Well, I believe he was comparing Konerko's OBP to Tejada's OBP.

If you use OBP instead of AVG, Tejada and Konerko have similar numbers.

I see.... Tejada's OBP is a very, very pedestrial 16th in the AL. Roberts is 1st and 1st in SLG. I don't see how anyone can take Tejada over Roberts.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers