Miguel Tejada
31%
David Ortiz
17%
Michael Young
1%

Total votes : 72

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:49 pm

Like was the case in 2002 when Soriano and Giambi cancelled each other out, I think Roberts and Tejada end up doing the same thing this season.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:53 pm

I answered Tejada...

Despite the stats that slightly favor Roberts, the question, "Who is the AL MVP thus far?" would have to be answered as Tejada.

Does he necessarily deserve it? No. If voting took place today, would he win it? Definitely.

This is based on several things, but the fact that he name is Tejada is a big factor. He's also a defensive stud and the "leader" of the team. Also, he plays position where there really aren't any true power hitters left besides Tejada.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:59 pm

Another vote for Tejada. He plays SS...His team is in contention.

As to Arod...please, when there is a vote for MVP in May against TB or MVP with a 5+ run lead I will consider it.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:00 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:BB I'm really interested in hearing your argument for why Tejada is hands down the choice. Both he and Roberts play on the same team but Roberts numbers are just better.

Brob ranks first in the AL in the following categories
OPS
Runs Created and RC/27
Win Shares
VORP

Now like I said earlier there's no way I see him keeping this up, but as of now I have a hard time not giving it to him.

Yeah, that's a good point. I had actually totally forgotten about Roberts. I guess I figured that he has trailed off some lately, but even with the decline in power, I didn't realize his numbers were this good now that I look at it. He's on pace for a 40 WS season, that's incredible, especially for Brian Roberts at 2B.

Brian Roberts for AL MVP of the first half!

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:01 pm

tejada or (uh oh...) paul konerko for me. i actually think i'd go with konerko because no one outside of him has clearly stepped up for the chicago offense which has been missing one of its most productive bats in magglio ordonez all year. their success has been amazing, and while tejada pushing the orioles to the top of the AL east has been impressive, he's had the help of a crazy start from roberts.

whats more, konerko's numbers are hardly worse than tejada's: 19 hrs vs. 19 hrs. and 60 rbi vs. 53 for konerko. moreover, without konerko, chicago wouldn't have had a big bat in their lineup: maggs has been out, rowand has been disappointing (well, until recently), and the big hurt has been more hurt" than "big".

the white sox are running away with what many thought would be a hotly contested division, and paul konerko has a lot to do with that. he gets my vote. ;-D
Last edited by George_Foreman on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:02 pm

Tejada.

He is the Baltimore Orioles. If he got hurt, nobody could replace his quiet leadership and production.

I do believe Baltimore will be dropping out of the race soon though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:03 pm

Koenrko is hitting 70 oints or so below Tejada and was flirting with Mendoza line territory for about a month.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:03 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Another vote for Tejada. He plays SS...His team is in contention.

As to Arod...please, when there is a vote for MVP in May against TB or MVP with a 5+ run lead I will consider it.

Yanks, don't waste my time explaining to you the fallacy in your statements about Alex this season. The whole bully idea is very overblown.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:04 pm

I don't think Konerko's name belongs anywhere near this discussion. He's having a solid season, yes...and the Sox are winning, yes, but there are about 20 players in the AL that deserve it more than him.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:04 pm

blankman wrote:Like was the case in 2002 when Soriano and Giambi cancelled each other out, I think Roberts and Tejada end up doing the same thing this season.

Why would Sori and Giambi cancel each other out?

Nevermind: I didn't think Giambi was with NY in 2002.
Last edited by nsulham on Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers