Brett Boone DFAed!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Boone DFAed!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jjigglers » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:36 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Bad choice of words on my part. I just wanted to see if he was consistent with his theory of RF and ZR. Alot of people who watch Jeter everyday think he's a pretty good fielder but are always shot down by people with ZR and RF.

I just didn't want him to throw those stats out for Boone and then use them against Jeter, like many people have in the past.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I dont buy into a fielder's ZR and RF as much as most people, its just easier to consistently watch a guy and see what his instincs, throwing range, etc are.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:54 pm

[quote="Big Pimpin"Calling Boone "not a very good fielder" is asinine. I don't want to hear about stupid made up stats like Zone Rating and Range Factor, those things don't mean a damn thing. I watched the guy play every day for the last 5 years and I can tell you he can field with the very best of them. I don't give a flying F@$#@ what Range Factor says about him.[/quote]

The eyes can deceive. Boone is 36. There's no way he's got the range he had in his prime. 99 was his best glove year. Did you know last year Bret was 2nd in AL in errors at 2b, and lowest fielding % at 2b? Boone's career numbers at 2b show he makes few errors, but his range was suspect. Career wise he is (-91) in FR (fielding runs). FR measures how many runs a player saves or loses for his team in the field compared to a average fielder. Boone's range is 94 (100) nuetral for career. All stats are adjusted for context, including the # of balls put in play, and what direction the ball were likely to go in. Boone looks smooth, has a good arm, and does the dp nice. Range has hurt him. Btw, i see Seattle too, as i'm close by. The eyes see a great play, and they remember that. They forget the balls past the glove. The stats aren't as forgetful. Boone's best year with glove was 99 in Atlanta, which makes sense age wise.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers