Brett Boone DFAed!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brett Boone DFAed!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:25 am

So does his fantasy value go up any? Notice how I didn't ask it about it going down, since it can't get much lower than this. Or he should stay on the waiver wire?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:11 am

Wouldn't surprise me to see Boone end up with the Mutts.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm coming in way late on this thread but...

MMoNeY24 wrote:Anyone see him cry in the interview the other day?

Fantasy Guru wrote:Well he sure CRIES like one.

Probably the least erudite comments in this thread. They serve no purpose other than making laughs and badly expose ignorance.

In my opinion, Brett Boone has a fine career. He's an All-Star, Gold Glove winner, and has been a leader in the game as well as on his team. He's upheld the Boone family legacy very well (his brother plays and his father and grandfather played as well). The fact that there is already talk circulating about offers goes to show he still has something to contribute (just remember, Olerud showed sparks in his play after being released by Seattle and getting picked up by the Yanks).

I'm not even going to pretend I understand what Boone is experiencing. A baseball player's entire self-image is built on his success in the game. It's hard to play professional baseball and even harder to make a career out of it. I recommend you watch A Player To Be Named Later to understand the small percentage of players that actually get to the major league level.

For Brett to wake up one day and be told he can no longer play for his team has to be difficult, regardless of the circumstances. I won't remember the announcement as seeing someone who cried but as a player who had the grace to face the media and show he has passion for the game.

Admittedly, there are times you can laugh at players. There are also those times when you can have some human compassion and attempt to understand the situation that somebody is in.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:03 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:With Kaz Matsui and Cairo handling our 2B defensive duties (and Chris Woodward/Marlon Anderson lately), I wouldn't mind getting Boone for his glove, and considering anything he brought with the bat as an added bonus, provided the money was right.

Don't be fooled by Boone's GG last year, he's not a very good fielder. I'm not sure how good any of your other options are though. Mets seem like a possibility.

Calling Boone "not a very good fielder" is asinine. I don't want to hear about stupid made up stats like Zone Rating and Range Factor, those things don't mean a damn thing. I watched the guy play every day for the last 5 years and I can tell you he can field with the very best of them. I don't give a flying F@$#@ what Range Factor says about him.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:09 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:With Kaz Matsui and Cairo handling our 2B defensive duties (and Chris Woodward/Marlon Anderson lately), I wouldn't mind getting Boone for his glove, and considering anything he brought with the bat as an added bonus, provided the money was right.

Don't be fooled by Boone's GG last year, he's not a very good fielder. I'm not sure how good any of your other options are though. Mets seem like a possibility.

Calling Boone "not a very good fielder" is asinine. I don't want to hear about stupid made up stats like Zone Rating and Range Factor, those things don't mean a damn thing. I watched the guy play every day for the last 5 years and I can tell you he can field with the very best of them. I don't give a flying F@$#@ what Range Factor says about him.

Do you agree that Derek Jeter is a tremendous fielder or no?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:

Do you agree that Derek Jeter is a tremendous fielder or no?

I think Jeter is a good fielder, but I wouldn't call him tremendous. I certainly don't think he should have won a Gold Glove. But I have to say, I've never watched the Yankees on an everyday basis. I may well have a different opinion if I watched him play every single day for the last 10 years.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BillyMafia » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:35 pm

Anyone have a link to video of his press conference?
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjigglers » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:25 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Do you agree that Derek Jeter is a tremendous fielder or no?

Not to intrude, but I'd say Jeter is a good fielder, but not tremendous. He makes some tremendous plays, but is not a tremdous fielder for the same reason John Lynch isn't a tremdous defender in the NFL and Allen Iverson is not a tremendous defender in the NBA.

Highlight reel appearances a tremendous defender do not make.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:27 pm

jjigglers wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Do you agree that Derek Jeter is a tremendous fielder or no?

Not to intrude, but I'd say Jeter is a good fielder, but not tremendous. He makes some tremendous plays, but is not a tremdous fielder for the same reason John Lynch isn't a tremdous defender in the NFL and Allen Iverson is not a tremendous defender in the NBA.

Highlight reel appearances a tremendous defender do not make.

Bad choice of words on my part. I just wanted to see if he was consistent with his theory of RF and ZR. Alot of people who watch Jeter everyday think he's a pretty good fielder but are always shot down by people with ZR and RF.

I just didn't want him to throw those stats out for Boone and then use them against Jeter, like many people have in the past.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:28 pm

Rumor has it that in an effort to save his career, Boone has made an appointment to see Dr. Ting.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers