Any doubt that Helton will turn it around still? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any doubt that Helton will turn it around still?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:35 am

TheYanks04 wrote:If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Then it's a duck.

But if it's an aging player who happens to be slumping, then I really don't see how you can assume it's steroid-related. Every year there are guys who slump a bit. Sometimes they turn it around, sometimes they don't. As far as I'm concerned, Helton just happens to be one of the players who's underperforming at the moment, and I have no reason to believe he was on steroids.

Brad Wilkerson hasn't shown much power this year. He must have been on 'roids, right? Aubrey Huff? Roids. Rolen? Roids. Probably Beltran too, right?

All I'm saying is that I don't think there's any real reason to assume Helton was on steroids. Just seems like a plain old slump to me, with age as a contributing factor.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:46 am

Helton is 31, not 38. What advancing age? Most of the players you mentioned have been hurt or played hurt. Huff is disenchanted and wants to be traded...Helton is healthy. He is in what should be his prime years. He is hitting like Giambi with NO power appearing clearing lost at the plate with what appears to be warning track power. Draw your own conclusions.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:29 am

Helton has a recent history of back problems. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is hiding an injury.

accuing him of steriods is just plain stupid.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby ravenmad22 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:18 am

wrveres wrote:Helton has a recent history of back problems. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he is hiding an injury.

accuing him of steriods is just plain stupid.

Agreed. Helton was not on steroids. I too believe he is hiding an injury, however, I heard it's his wrist giving him trouble.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby toofunnyy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:50 am

George_Foreman wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:Not unless he starts using Roids again or finds a supplement for the Roids!

you don't hit .340 because of roids.

You're a moron.

-Ken Caminiti
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:07 am

toofunnyy wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
reznorsboy wrote:Not unless he starts using Roids again or finds a supplement for the Roids!

You're a moron.

-Ken Caminiti

excuse me, but so are you.

Ken Caminiti was a career .274 hitter that had ONE Season when he hit .326. Other than that ONE season, he was lucky to sniff .300 on a regular basis. (excuse the pun)
Ken Caminitti was on a daily cocktail of illicit drugs, Ken would even take the field wacked out on coke, and those were the things that killed him. To say that steriods made him better is naive. To say that he died of steriods is naive. The same goes for Alzedo. enough of that rant.

Now, Todd Helton on the other hand has been one of the most consitent .330 hitters for the better part of 5 or 6 years running, and to say that it is because of steriods, when he is clearly hiding an injury, makes YOU sound like a .. ..

Moron ..

-ME
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:08 am

R.I.P Ken Caminniti
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby toofunnyy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 am

wrveres wrote:
toofunnyy wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:

You're a moron.

-Ken Caminiti

excuse me, but so are you.

Ken Caminiti was a career .274 hitter that had ONE Season when he hit .326. Other than that ONE season, he was lucky to sniff .300 on a regular basis. (excuse the pun)
Ken Caminitti was on a daily cocktail of illicit drugs, Ken would even take the field wacked out on coke, and those were the things that killed him. To say that steriods made him better is naive. To say that he died of steriods is naive. The same goes for Alzedo. enough of that rant.

Now, Todd Helton on the other hand has been one of the most consitent .330 hitters for the better part of 5 or 6 years running, and to say that it is because of steriods, when he is clearly hiding an injury, makes YOU sound like a .. ..

Moron ..

-ME

You're probably never even hit a baseball. And probably never even used steroids. So how the hell do you know jack about the subject?

If you're looking at stats, lets check known users. Giambi .315, .333, .342 on his roid binge. Far lower before and after.

Bonds was a career .290 hitter, then busted out .306 .328 .370 .341 .362, not to mention in his late 30s.

Caminiti has career highs is power and AVERAGE during a year he said he abused roids heavily. Not sure why you're bringing up coke. So that helps with average but not roids? You're talking out of your ass.

Since you fail to grasp simple concepts, the point isn't that Helton did roids. The point was that saying "roids doesn't help your average" is ignorant, and based on stats of known users, wrong. No one really knows what being on roids does, but seeing as people risk their lives taking it, it probably helps you do EVERYTHING better (your recovery time is far faster, meaning back to back games should have far less strain, which could easily help your average). Duh.

R.I.P Ken Caminniti

And if you're going to use a dead persons name, at least spell it correctly
toofunnyy Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Irish » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:03 pm

This might get ugly........ :-o
BILL HALL EN FUEGO!
Irish
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jjigglers » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:46 pm

Guy has a point though, since steriods help your muscle reflexes as well as your power, and that's why a lot of people experience a much higher average.
jjigglers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers