Clemens blows it again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens blows it again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dr.DooM » Sat Jun 07, 2003 10:59 pm

I notice how Red Sox fans treat their ex-players a lot differently than other fans, even Yankee fans. Clemens could arguably be the best pitcher that played for the Red Sox but now he is treated like dirt and his family gets spit on because he plays for the Yankees. Wasn't it Duquette who essentially cut him from the team by lowballing him? I don't think ex-Yankee players get the same treatment back in NYC. Tino Martinez, Chuck Knoblauch, Joe Girardi, David Cone, actually received props whenever they came to town. Nobody considers Cone a "traitor" for wearing a Red Sock uniform either.

Some of this "I hope he blows out his arm" stuff is a little... disconcerting.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRRNeiklot » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:01 pm

Exactly. And I hate the damn yankees. But I don't want anyone to blow out an arm,knee, etc.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Quaker » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:12 am

I guess I failed to make the facetiousness come through properly.
I wouldn't really hope for him to blow out his arm. I would probably accept it if he went blind, or if he lost a finger on his throwing hand, or even if he developed a bunion so large that he couldn't put his shoe on.
Lighten up.
Quaker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jwhands » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:43 am

Dr.DooM wrote:I notice how Red Sox fans treat their ex-players a lot differently than other fans, even Yankee fans. Clemens could arguably be the best pitcher that played for the Red Sox but now he is treated like dirt and his family gets spit on because he plays for the Yankees. Wasn't it Duquette who essentially cut him from the team by lowballing him? I don't think ex-Yankee players get the same treatment back in NYC. Tino Martinez, Chuck Knoblauch, Joe Girardi, David Cone, actually received props whenever they came to town. Nobody considers Cone a "traitor" for wearing a Red Sock uniform either.

Some of this "I hope he blows out his arm" stuff is a little... disconcerting.

Does this post even make any sense???? Hey guys, let's compare apples and oranges here. Look at the Yankee players you put on your list:

Tino Martinez-ran out because Steinbrenner wanted Giambi.
Chuck Knoblach-ran out because he forgot how to throw.
Joe Girardi-Posada took over for him.
David Cone-Shipped away because he was no longer "productive."

Now let's look a Rocket Head Clemens. He took off on Boston and sold out to the highest bidding team (Toronto). He didn't even care about winning at the time, just the money. His last days in Boston, all he did was cry about a new contract. While doing so, he put up mediocre #'s and took on the cheeseburger conditioning program. He takes off to Toronto, shows up in the best shape of his life and wins 2 Cy Youngs. Then he does the ultimate sell out move, bolts for New York to buy his rings. Just a little bit different scenario than the ones above. Now if you can find me a player that sold out to the Yankees and got cheered on his return, then I will accept your argument. Until then...........................come on losing streak!!!!!

One final thing. He should have NEVER had a chance at winning that game. Matsui was gunned down on strikes before his home run. The umps blew that call, which is pretty sad because Wood had a good chance at a no hitter today.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:28 am

The Yankees just need to forget about #300.

They leave him in too long when they are down big - clinging to a faint hope the Yankees will score 6 their next AB.

They pull him too early when he has the lead and gets in a little jam.

He's pitched out of enough jams to get 299 other wins. Just let the guy pitch.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:14 am

i find it odd that clemens hit 99 MPH in the first inning in a pitch against sosa.. .but he was taken out after 84 pitches. torre and stottlemyre said he was tired. i think he might have amped himself up too much, as surely the cubs lineup doesn't exactly compel one to go bonkers trying to figur eout methods to out-think them... they strike out a whole lot.

neverhteless, kerry wood pitched a better game... he ran out of gas too, but he pitched a stellar 7 innings of baseball, which was good to see.

time to see if prior can outdo wood tomorrow.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby HOOTIE » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:46 am

Boston got what they deserved, Roger leaving. No pitcher works harder then Roger. He pitched hurt in 94 and 95. I saw Duquette in a old interview say, Roger was 34, we thought he was done. Bostons gm blew it, not Roger. What was Roger to do, say no to Jays?
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Dr.DooM » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:49 am

jwhands wrote:Now let's look a Rocket Head Clemens. He took off on Boston and sold out to the highest bidding team (Toronto). He didn't even care about winning at the time, just the money. His last days in Boston, all he did was cry about a new contract. While doing so, he put up mediocre #'s and took on the cheeseburger conditioning program. He takes off to Toronto, shows up in the best shape of his life and wins 2 Cy Youngs. Then he does the ultimate sell out move, bolts for New York to buy his rings. Just a little bit different scenario than the ones above. Now if you can find me a player that sold out to the Yankees and got cheered on his return, then I will accept your argument. .

Yeesh, if this doesn't sound like sour grapes, then I don't know what does. He's essentially mad at Roger for a bad decision made by Duquette. They all keep focusing over his mediocre win ratio and blame it on him instead of the team. Wasn't his average ERA 3.50 during the last 5 years with the Sox ('92-96)? That's better than his ERA of 3.78 from the last 5 years ('98-02) while in Toronto and NY.

Hmm, as for that example, I couldn't find any but then I realized the Yankees don't usually cut their best players too soon like Boston does. Although, there seems to be a healthy tradition of former Red Sox players who come to the Yankees to win (Sparky Lyle and Wade Boggs).

Now am I upset at the Yankees? No, I don't want to see the Yankees win anymore than the next person in Shea Stadium. But I am upset with the Red Sox and their ignorant fans for their ineptitude, which in turn benefit the Yankees. It also makes me nervous to see Yankee fans in the stadium waving pinstripe jersey's with a number 5 or a 45 at Nomar and Pedro.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jwhands » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:26 pm

Clemens went 40-39 in his last 4 seasons with Boston. Plus he had only one decent season out of those 4 with regards to his era and opponents batting average, whip. Not really Cy Young potential. The fact is that Clemens did nothing but pout in his last years in Boston, not caring about winning or losing. I would boo him too if I was a Boston fan. The only hat that deserves to be on his HOF plaque is one labeled "sellout".
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers