Live 8 concert - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Live 8 concert

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dave

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:33 pm

perlick29 wrote:
Ballwreckers wrote:Even thoigh I was on the phone when Dave Played, he looked normal to me. If you are talking about the gibberish during too much , he does that from time to time..its a weird form of scat. As far Dave playing Spac, he did both shows since this was earlier in the day.

My apoologies I meant it in the songs he chose not in his look.

What songs did they play?
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:31 pm

Blank I believe he played don't drink the water first, then dream girl, american baby, and then drink too much. It was not his best set because the crowd couldn't get into his stuff since it really wasnt his bread and butter.

don't drink the water is one of his darker songs an to lead with it was a head scratcher.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:37 pm

perlick29 wrote:Blank I believe he played don't drink the water first, then dream girl, american baby, and then drink too much. It was not his best set because the crowd couldn't get into his stuff since it really wasnt his bread and butter.

don't drink the water is one of his darker songs an to lead with it was a head scratcher.

Hate to break it to you, but DDTW is used as an opener for a lot of concerts. In fact, 3 of their most famous concerts were opened with that song. 01's Live at Folsom Field, 02's Gorge Ampitheater and 03's Central Park Concert.

That's not a bad set actually.

DDTW is used as an intro because it starts out slow and quickly progresses it a very powerful and intense song that gets the crowd into it.

Dreamgirl and American Baby are 2 of the IMO only 3 quality songs on Stand Up and Too Much is a song that has a ton of energy and a strong ending.

They aren't my absolute favorites, by all are quality songs and given that they want to play their new songs, Dreamgirl and American Baby are strong choices.

I saw most of their most recent VH1 Storytellers tonight and Dreamgirl and Too Much were played very well. The two best songs I saw though were Ants Marching and the closing with All Along the Watchtower.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby perlick29 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:16 am

blankman wrote:
perlick29 wrote:Blank I believe he played don't drink the water first, then dream girl, american baby, and then drink too much. It was not his best set because the crowd couldn't get into his stuff since it really wasnt his bread and butter.

Hate to break it to you, but DDTW is used as an opener for a lot of concerts. In fact, 3 of their most famous concerts were opened with that song. 01's Live at Folsom Field, 02's Gorge Ampitheater and 03's Central Park Concert.

That's not a bad set actually.

DDTW is used as an intro because it starts out slow and quickly progresses it a very powerful and intense song that gets the crowd into it.

Dreamgirl and American Baby are 2 of the IMO only 3 quality songs on Stand Up and Too Much is a song that has a ton of energy and a strong ending.

They aren't my absolute favorites, by all are quality songs and given that they want to play their new songs, Dreamgirl and American Baby are strong choices.

I saw most of their most recent VH1 Storytellers tonight and Dreamgirl and Too Much were played very well. The two best songs I saw though were Ants Marching and the closing with All Along the Watchtower.

Well like I said I'm not arguing the quality of the songs as I am a DMB fan but that being said, is don't drink the water an appropriate open for a live 8 concert? Hmm, maybe although it certainly gave a new perspective to it. In addition, from being at the concert I'm just giving you the general concensus that he was a major disappointment. Too much was the only song the crowd got into. You have to remember thatn not everybody there will likw a certain artist with this being a smorgasboard of musicians, but enven non-fans took very will to artists they had never heard before, AKA rap fans liking Bon Jovi which there were a surprising many of. Everyone was in awe of hearing DDTW at a live 8 concert and therefore reacted poorly to his set. Sorry, I wouldn't lie to you Blank, as I was there to hear 1 million people only politely clapping at the end of his songs or not clapping at all.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:18 am

What I don't understand about this whole Live 8 thing is why they're not raising money for poverty in Africa. Not that I think it's our business to be sending money to them, but still, you'd think if they bothered to go to the trouble of putting this show together they would actually do something to help the cause instead of just "raising awareness."

The rich get richer, and the poor stay poor...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:48 pm

How was Floyd? any recordings?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:48 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:What I don't understand about this whole Live 8 thing is why they're not raising money for poverty in Africa. Not that I think it's our business to be sending money to them, but still, you'd think if they bothered to go to the trouble of putting this show together they would actually do something to help the cause instead of just "raising awareness."

I'm confused by the whole thing, too. Didn't the G8 just announce a few weeks ago that they were going to dissolve all African debts? If so, what is the point of this concert?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:33 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:What I don't understand about this whole Live 8 thing is why they're not raising money for poverty in Africa. Not that I think it's our business to be sending money to them, but still, you'd think if they bothered to go to the trouble of putting this show together they would actually do something to help the cause instead of just "raising awareness."

I'm confused by the whole thing, too. Didn't the G8 just announce a few weeks ago that they were going to dissolve all African debts? If so, what is the point of this concert?

This is just the typical way of thinking of these people. They're the next Hippies. Reminds me of South Park's "Die Hippy, Die" episode where the hippies hold a week long concert "to change the world" but do nothing but smoke pot and listen to music
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:40 pm

blankman wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

This is just the typical way of thinking of these people. They're the next Hippies. Reminds me of South Park's "Die Hippy, Die" episode where the hippies hold a week long concert "to change the world" but do nothing but smoke pot and listen to music

Lmao… Remember when the kids kidnapped the baby cows and demanded that all menus be changed to read "baby cow?" My favorite part was at the end when the kids were walking all of the cows out to a truck, and some hippies on the side started cheering for them. Cartman turned to them and told them, "Shut up you <explitive deleted> hippies!!!"

Or when he was mumbling in his sleep about hippies: "Hippies… everywhere… hippies… They talk about peace and love, but all they do is smoke weed and smell bad. Hippies…"

:-D

Priceless stuff right there...
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby warrick95 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:40 pm

Man, I didn't even get to see it on TV as I was coming home from NYC on Saturday. I'll have to check out the feeds on AOL Music. Being a rap (and country...I know it's an interesting combo) fan, I'll have to see Kanye, Jay-Z, etc. Will Smith and the BEP have a lot of energy and are probably better in person...dance type atmosphere. Faith Hill is a guilty pleasure and her hubby and Toby Keith aren't bad either. Why the hell did they send Faith and Tim McGraw off to Rome? Have they even heard of country music over there? Looking at the lineup, a Brit Craig David was in Paris. They woulda gone nuts for him at London.

Sounds like you had a blast, perlick.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk