What should I put in my IPOD... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What should I put in my IPOD...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:25 am

blankman wrote:Based on the other stuff you like, I have to say The Dave Matthews Band. In studio: Under the Table and Dreaming is their best. Stand Up, the new album is simply not very good; it was produced by a Rap producer, and that's what it sounds like; every song has like one verse and each song is at least 1 minute too long; the only songs worth listening to on it are American Baby, Dreamgirl, Old Dirt Hill and Joyride which isn't actually on the album. Live concert, go with the 2003 Central Park Concert. That one is phenominal.

I disagree blank. I don't like the album better than Under the Table or Crash but once you get used to the different style of playing, it grows on you. "You Might Die Trying," "Hunger for the Great Light," and "Steady as We Go," are currently my favorites along with "Dreamgirl" and some of the others you mentioned.

Under the Table and Dreaming is a kickass album though. Jimi Thing, What Would You Say, Ants Marching, Dancing Nancies, Warehouse are among my favorites on that disc. Crash Into Me, Two Step, So Much To Say, and my favorite DMB song, #41, are among the bests on the Crash album.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:10 am

You might die trying isn't bad but the entire album completely lacks energy and variety. Some songs like Everybody Wake Up start off well, but they progress into the same thing, over and over and over. It's simply boring.

No where on the album do you see the talents of Boyd, Leroi and Dave fully utilized. Everything is very overly simplified. Never on the album to you hear Boyd or Leroi playing difficult and intense pieces. Everything is just the same thing over and over.

It does grow on you, but the album still doesn't hold a candle to anything they've done previously. There is no song that captures the true energy of the band as songs like Too Much, Ants Marching, Rapunzel, Stay, Two Step, Lie In Our Graves, Tripping Billies etc do.

Everything is slow, overly simple, drags on too long, lacks the use of Dave's acoustic guitar which has always been one of the most influential parts of the band, lacks any creativity by Boyd and Leroi and has no intensity.

Based on their standards, it is simply a horrendous album. There are a few bright spots: American Baby, Dreamgirl, Old Dirt Hill and parts of other songs before they go into playing and singing the same thing over and over. A rap producer produced the album, and it shows in the simplicity and repetitiveness. There's little real substance to the album like all the previous ones had. An utter disappointment. :-/
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby davidmarver » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:18 am

I'm just going to name a few modern albums that are solid all the way through; the oldies shouldn't be too hard to locate on your own.

Good News For People Who Love Bad News - Modest Mouse
Sing The Sorrow - AFI
Bringing Down the Horse - The Wallflowers
What It Is To Burn - Finch
Morning View or Make Yourself - Incubus
Super Amusement Machine For Your Exciting Heart - Counterfit
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:07 am

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe. It's one of the 10 best hiphop cd's to come out in the last 10 years, no joke.

Gruf - Druidry. Mellow, low-key, but very tripped out Canadian hiphop.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Jagfan21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:58 am

Mets4Life wrote:I usually go with music
makes sense

Lugo Watch: SB - 24 HR - 2

Rehab is for quitters.

(The Official Corey Patterson Screwed Me Over Club)
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1087805#1087805
Jagfan21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:02 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood

The new Gorillaz album is FANTASTIC I give it 10 stars out of 5 B-)

I only have a smaller MP3 player that I jog with and take to the gym- it only holds a measely 17 hours. It's chock full of Jay-Z, Neurosis, Converge, and Modest Mouse. I highly recommend these artists to everyone with ears.

I love Radiohead too though- Kid-A baby. ;-D
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk