Nomahhhhh! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nomahhhhh!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Nomahhhhh!

Postby nuggets » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:02 pm

Garciaparra said he is recovering faster than he expected from surgery to repair a ruptured tendon in his left groin and hopes to return for the final two months of the regular season, the Associated Press reports.

"Physically, I feel pretty good right now," said Garciaparra. The shortstop is taking ground balls and batting practice and doing some light running, but he has difficulty pushing off. He said his strength and stamina are increasing, and hopes to start running the bases next week. Though there is still no precise timetable for his return, it looks like those owners who have held on to Garciaparra this long will be rewarded with some late-season production.

The main competition dropped him a month ago. Now I have he and Tejada. Sucking away positional value! ....hopefully anyway.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:10 pm

It better be late season "Production!" he was like 9 for 10000 before he got injured
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:It better be late season "Production!" he was like 9 for 10000 before he got injured

Ha, yeah really. If he's back 8/1, though, that's a lot sooner than I thought he was going to return. I would like to think he'd be particuarly motivated considering he'd like to get signed somewhere after the season.

Time to fill a DL spot, folks!
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Half Massed » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:20 pm

he had a good spring before all of this if i remember right. he was batting like .500 for a good time in spring training. of course he then went on to do the opposite during the season. maybe he thought it would average out and he'd have a .300 avg? :-b
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BobbyRoberto » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:24 pm

Garciaparra's a tough call, though. He hit .157 before getting injured this year. When he came to the Cubs last season, he only hit .278/.346/.412 at Wrigley Field. That's not elite level. What can you expect from the guy? Lance Berkman has taken a long time to start producing after coming off an injury, who knows what Garciaparra can do. I was lucky enough to pick up Felipe Lopez at SS. With the way he's hit, it'd be a risk to drop him for the uncertainty of Garciaparra. I actually have a similar situation at 3B, where I picked up Morgan Ensberg for Chipper Jones. Ensberg's been on fire lately. When Chipper comes back, I have to choose between them.

A guy coming off an injury is a risk. I suffered through a lot of at-bats with Berkman this year (in May: .234/.337/.325). Now he's hitting well, with a half-season to go, so it was a good pickup. With Nomar, if he comes back August 1 and slumps for a few weeks or a month, there wouldn't be much time for him to help out your team.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby nuggets » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:36 pm

BobbyRoberto wrote:I actually have a similar situation at 3B, where I picked up Morgan Ensberg for Chipper Jones. Ensberg's been on fire lately. When Chipper comes back, I have to choose between them.

I'd choose Chipper, but I'd do everything I could to trade one of them first. I might even consider dropping a decent pitcher.

BobbyRoberto wrote: With Nomar, if he comes back August 1 and slumps for a few weeks or a month, there wouldn't be much time for him to help out your team.

Me, I have Tejada. I picked up Nomar for the sole purpose of keeping him away from others. He may very well make the difference in many H2H leagues playoffs, along with Bonds. Others?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby oukurt » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:49 pm

Not this year for Nomar. I am not one expecting magic in the second half. He was BAD before the injury. If I had a spot for him on my roster I would probably snag him up and keep him reserved to see what he does though.
oukurt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Papi » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:51 pm

I've got Jeter, but I still picked up Nomah. Just to keep him away from the league though, if he does come back, he will have at least some trade value just based off his name. ;-D
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby theclefe » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:28 am

nuggets wrote:
Me, I have Tejada. I picked up Nomar for the sole purpose of keeping him away from others. He may very well make the difference in many H2H leagues playoffs, along with Bonds. Others?

I agree. I was trying to get Bonds cheap solely for his playoff production. Once you know you are going to make the playoffs in H2H, you sell your human genetically enhanced soul to win.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby rlee » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:56 am

BobbyRoberto wrote:Garciaparra's a tough call, though. He hit .157 before getting injured this year. When he came to the Cubs last season, he only hit .278/.346/.412 at Wrigley Field. That's not elite level. What can you expect from the guy? Lance Berkman has taken a long time to start producing after coming off an injury, who knows what Garciaparra can do. I was lucky enough to pick up Felipe Lopez at SS. With the way he's hit, it'd be a risk to drop him for the uncertainty of Garciaparra. I actually have a similar situation at 3B, where I picked up Morgan Ensberg for Chipper Jones. Ensberg's been on fire lately. When Chipper comes back, I have to choose between them.

A guy coming off an injury is a risk. I suffered through a lot of at-bats with Berkman this year (in May: .234/.337/.325). Now he's hitting well, with a half-season to go, so it was a good pickup. With Nomar, if he comes back August 1 and slumps for a few weeks or a month, there wouldn't be much time for him to help out your team.

Remember, Berkman had no spring training. Nomar had a full spring training and still started with the .157 BA. Picking him up will be a total crapshoot, IMO. I was also lucky enough to pick up Lopez, and unless he starts to fall off badly, cannot even think of replacing him with Nomar.
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers