Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby soxwillchoke » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:42 am

mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. He does have decent enough stats though for a big leaguer. As for Cano, I haven't seen him nearly as much as Wang, but he seems like a decent hitter and fielders with some flaws in both areas. In some games, I've seen him make some nice tag plays from Posada. Although, he really isn't anything that special, and nothing really to get excited about. These 2 will obviously turn into decent enough major leaguers but definitly not stars. Thats exactly why I really can't see why the Yankees would decline a trade like this for a stud like Soriano. It leads me to believe that the story wasn't true in the first place.

Wow, if you are able to evaluate prospects with such little exposure - and actually be right- you should quit your day job and be a major league scout.
soxwillchoke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby unclepaulie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:51 am

Soriano for Cano and Wang IS A PIPE DREAM!
And anybody who thinks the Yanks are the one's who turned this down obviously packed the pipe with something.

Heck, maybe All World center fielder Tony Womack could net you guys Clemens as well.

What a joke.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:07 pm

unclepaulie wrote:Soriano for Cano and Wang IS A PIPE DREAM!
And anybody who thinks the Yanks are the one's who turned this down obviously packed the pipe with something.

Heck, maybe All World center fielder Tony Womack could net you guys Clemens as well.

What a joke.

I'd turn it down in a split second.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:18 pm

Whether or not it should be turned down/accepted, this all spin out of the Yankees camp. Just like the Mets supposedly came to the Yankees with the Sheffield offer (conflicting with initial reports) and then we find out that that the Yankees shopped Sheffield to at least two other teams prior to his radio tirade. I would take everything coming out of the Yankees camp with a grain of salt right now.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:31 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. D

If you have only seen him that few of times, why would you even post?

I have seen him hit 97 on several occasions, including a few times when i was actually at the stadium. Please dont provide misinformation.

Just because I state a fact that is deemed misinformation by a yankees fan doesn't mean it is untrue. In the 3 times, I've seen him pitch he hasnt gone over 91. Take that anyway you want. Of course, some days pitchers throw harder than other days..

But it seems like you missed the whole point of the post in the first place, Wang obviously doesn't get many strikeouts, and doesn't have a great k/bb ratio. His era is okay, but not great. This compares very well to Gustavo Chacin of the Toronto Blue Jays. I don't see Chacin as anything more than a #3 guy in this league tops. I don't overrate this guy, he is what he is. Based on the stats thus far (which isn't that much for 2 rookies), Wang won't turn out to be anything more than Chacin. So i find it funny to believe that a Soriano for Cano/Wang trade was ever offered, and that the Yanks would turn it down, because that is obviously a joke. Just because these 2 are your best prospects since Soriano, doesn't mean they are as good as him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:39 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. D

I have seen him hit 97 on several occasions, including a few times when i was actually at the stadium. Please dont provide misinformation.

Exactly. Cashman said on the Thursday before Wang's first start (on that Saturday) that he normally hit around 94 in the minors and in the warmer weather got it up around 97. That's been the scouting report on him all along.

Just because he doesn't "look" like he throws hard to you, means he doesn't? Give me a break.

The scouting reports I've read on him say he averages low to mid 90s on his fastball. And in the 3 games I've seen him, the peak was 91mph. That's the plain facts, not how hard it "looks" like he throws.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:46 pm

soxwillchoke wrote:
mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. He does have decent enough stats though for a big leaguer. As for Cano, I haven't seen him nearly as much as Wang, but he seems like a decent hitter and fielders with some flaws in both areas. In some games, I've seen him make some nice tag plays from Posada. Although, he really isn't anything that special, and nothing really to get excited about. These 2 will obviously turn into decent enough major leaguers but definitly not stars. Thats exactly why I really can't see why the Yankees would decline a trade like this for a stud like Soriano. It leads me to believe that the story wasn't true in the first place.

Wow, if you are able to evaluate prospects with such little exposure - and actually be right- you should quit your day job and be a major league scout.

I have no intention of becoming a major league scout anytime soon. Just because I post an opinion that isn't too popular among Yankees fans doesn't mean it is wrong. You asked me if I'm right? Well, only time will tell. But what do you think they will become in the major leagues? All Stars? Hall of Famers? I don't think so.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:05 pm

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

Exactly. Cashman said on the Thursday before Wang's first start (on that Saturday) that he normally hit around 94 in the minors and in the warmer weather got it up around 97. That's been the scouting report on him all along.

Just because he doesn't "look" like he throws hard to you, means he doesn't? Give me a break.

The scouting reports I've read on him say he averages low to mid 90s on his fastball. And in the 3 games I've seen him, the peak was 91mph. That's the plain facts, not how hard it "looks" like he throws.

Those arent the facts.

He regulary hits 94-95.

Those are the facts.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:11 pm

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

No, you said he doesn't look like he throws very hard.

In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway.

See, you did say that. So because he doesn't look like he throws hard, means he doesn't. Hmm, I like you're means of analysis, care to share anymore?

You've seen 3 games. He's had almost 10. Don't act as if you're numbers are facts based on what you saw for a few games. I never said Wang was going to be Roger Clemens. I think he can be a good major league pitcher. Not an all-star, a good solid pitcher. Same with Cano.

And regardless of whether the Soriano trade was even offered, I wouldn't have wanted the Yankees to do it anyway.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:

Those arent the facts.

He regulary hits 94-95.

Those are the facts.

Ever heard of this saying before?

"There are 2 sides to every story, and somewhere in the middle lies to the truth."
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers