Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thehat » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:52 pm

I have doubts as to whether this offer actually even existed.

The fact that it was reported in the NY Post gives it zero credibility. There is no paper in the land that is better suited for the bottom of the bird cage than the Post. Had this been reported in one of the more reputable NYC rags, it would have lot more credence.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lesgrant » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:09 pm

nuggets wrote:
cordscords wrote:I watched Wangs first and second career starts. Never saw him hit that high in those games. I apoligize if he saved the good stuff from that point on.

Isn't it a pleasure dealing with the local vocal yankee fans?

I love how Yankee-haters love to proclaim themselves as holier-than-thou objective when they bash the Yanks and their fans.

Please.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GrimZeke007 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:22 pm

Isn't this Soriano's last yr with Texas? Yankees will sign him in the offseason and ship off Cano somewhere else possibly.
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:37 pm

Cano's a solid player, but I don't know why everyone's so high on Chien-Ming Wang. I mean, he doesn't strike anybody out. (18 BB, 26 K ???) he is going to eventually end up being a flop once he gets unlucky/people begin to hit him hard. Also, a 4.26 ERA wouldn't exactly thrill me either. In my opinion, Wang just isn't the ace prospect that Yankee fans believe he is.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:43 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Cano's a solid player, but I don't know why everyone's so high on Chien-Ming Wang. I mean, he doesn't strike anybody out. (18 BB, 26 K ???) he is going to eventually end up being a flop once he gets unlucky/people begin to hit him hard. Also, a 4.26 ERA wouldn't exactly thrill me either. In my opinion, Wang just isn't the ace prospect that Yankee fans believe he is.

I don't see Wang or Cano being much better than average to above average major league players either. Of course it's not like they need stars at every position. They are both young and will give them a few homegrown guys that seemed to work for them when they won their championships in the late 90's.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:54 pm

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Cano's a solid player, but I don't know why everyone's so high on Chien-Ming Wang. I mean, he doesn't strike anybody out. (18 BB, 26 K ???) he is going to eventually end up being a flop once he gets unlucky/people begin to hit him hard. Also, a 4.26 ERA wouldn't exactly thrill me either. In my opinion, Wang just isn't the ace prospect that Yankee fans believe he is.

Oh yeah, because I forgot in real life you get extra points for strikeouts... :-t

And of course you know he's a flop...way to truly grace us with your almighty knowledge buffalobillsrul2002. Thanks.

Mustangs989 wrote:I don't see Wang or Cano being much better than average to above average major league players either. Of course it's not like they need stars at every position. They are both young and will give them a few homegrown guys that seemed to work for them when they won their championships in the late 90's.

Exactly. I'm not saying Wang is the next Roger Clemens or that Cano is the next Soriano. But they've both shown that they could perform well at a very young age, in New York. Over the years, many proven pitchers have turned out to be awful under the New York lights (see Vazquez, Weaver, Contreras, Pavano, Johnson, many more...)

They don't need a team full of all-stars. As I've said before, the 1996 team had Mariano Duncan at 2nd base. I'm not saying Cano is going to hit 40 homeruns and bat .340. But they don't need him to. If he can turn into a number 2 hitter, who can be patient, hit for a good average and have power to the gaps, as well as play pretty good defense, that's perfect for me. Same for Wang. I'm not saying he's going to be our ace for years to come. But when you get a young pitcher who throws hard and can pitch in NY, you hold onto him, especially when the guy you're trying to accquire for him is a free agent in 5 months anyways.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:56 am

In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. He does have decent enough stats though for a big leaguer. As for Cano, I haven't seen him nearly as much as Wang, but he seems like a decent hitter and fielders with some flaws in both areas. In some games, I've seen him make some nice tag plays from Posada. Although, he really isn't anything that special, and nothing really to get excited about. These 2 will obviously turn into decent enough major leaguers but definitly not stars. Thats exactly why I really can't see why the Yankees would decline a trade like this for a stud like Soriano. It leads me to believe that the story wasn't true in the first place.

As a Jays fans, I think these 2 compare very well to Gustavo Chacin and Orlando Hudson. Chacin throws about 91-93mph with his fastball, but is mostly a control pitcher. He does have a better ERA than Wang though. I don't see Chacin as anything more than a #3-#4 pitcher with the Jays though in next few years. As for Hudson, although he's struggled offensively this year, I see him as more of a 270 hitter with a bit of pop which is what Cano will likely turn out to be with maybe a slightly better average. Hudson's defense is extrordinary though, and he is argueably the best defensive second basemen in the game. But if Texas ever offered Soriano for these 2 players, I can gurantee you JP Ricciardi would take the deal in a second. That's what leads me to believe that this trade offer was never made, and that the story was fake, because there would be no reason for Steinbrenner not to get Soriano, especially since he has alot more money available than JP. I can almost gurantee you that if Soriano was offered for those 2, that the Yankees would take the deal, that is of course unless they didnt want anymore all stars. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:13 am

mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. D

If you have only seen him that few of times, why would you even post?

I have seen him hit 97 on several occasions, including a few times when i was actually at the stadium. Please dont provide misinformation.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:17 am

Strasil42 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:In my opinion, you Yankee fans overrate those two prospects: Wang and Cano. As a Blue Jays fan, I've seen them play a bit more than most, but of course not as much as you guys. Ive also seen them alot on Fox Saturday baseball, where the Yankees are shown on Fox for the most part in my region of Toronto. Of the 3 times I've seen Wang pitch this year, the highest he's thrown was 91 mph, so I'm not sure where a number like 97 would come from. He also doesn't really look like he throws that hard anyway. D

If you have only seen him that few of times, why would you even post?

I have seen him hit 97 on several occasions, including a few times when i was actually at the stadium. Please dont provide misinformation.

Exactly. Cashman said on the Thursday before Wang's first start (on that Saturday) that he normally hit around 94 in the minors and in the warmer weather got it up around 97. That's been the scouting report on him all along.

Just because he doesn't "look" like he throws hard to you, means he doesn't? Give me a break.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Pokey » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:22 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Oh yeah, because I forgot in real life you get extra points for strikeouts... :-t

If you're not striking anyone out, you're lwtting the ball be put in play, and if you're letting the ball be put in play, anything can happen-- especially if you have a subpar defense behind you.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers