Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Yes Wong looked solid today and he might be fearless but didn't Lilly and Halsey also look good and fearless in their time with the Yankees? George will do what George wants and if he wants to trade Wong, fearless or not, he'll do it.

Guess my point is unless your last name is Steinbrenner, Michaels or Cashman, the decisions around here about who goes and who stays doesn't matter.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:25 pm

If I'm not mistaken, that is the team's 1st win while scoring 3 or fewer runs. Pitching is the problem and trading Wang, their best pitcher, especially when they're now down to only 3 healthy starters, only makes things worse. Soriano is not the answer.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:27 pm

nsulham wrote:Yes Wong looked solid today and he might be fearless but didn't Lilly and Halsey also look good and fearless in their time with the Yankees? George will do what George wants and if he wants to trade Wong, fearless or not, he'll do it.

Guess my point is unless your last name is Steinbrenner, Michaels or Cashman, the decisions around here about who goes and who stays doesn't matter.

That's the same for every team though. Of course none of our opinions matter for any of our favorite teams :-?

And btw, it's pronounced Wong, but its actually spelled Wang ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:35 pm

blankman wrote:
nsulham wrote:Yes Wong looked solid today and he might be fearless but didn't Lilly and Halsey also look good and fearless in their time with the Yankees? George will do what George wants and if he wants to trade Wong, fearless or not, he'll do it.

That's the same for every team though. Of course none of our opinions matter for any of our favorite teams :-?

And btw, it's pronounced Wong, but its actually spelled Wang ;-)

Thanks, I knew that. Actually it's funny I spelled it out that way because everytime I see someone make fun of his name like it's pronounced Wang, I want to correct them so I guess I subliminally fooled myself :-[
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:47 pm

Lilly and Halsey did look good in NY, and they should've kept both of them. They didn't and it's come back to bite them in the ass.

They got Randy Johnson and Jeff Weaver, both were prominant names, RJ obviously much more than Jeff, but both well known none the less.

And neither pitcher worked out and those youngsters went on to pitch very well. I do not want to see the same thing happen with Wang, even though it's not my choice.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Hmmm.

Lilly in NY was much like the Lilly of now...a 5 inning pitcher who fell apart quickly and showed no consistency.

Halsey did not get much time here, but pretty much blew as his
2004 record indicates:

7 GS 1 W 3 L 6.47 ERA 1.69 WHIP
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Roto Authority » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:39 pm

7 starts is never enough to label a pitcher a failure!

lilly averaged a solid 6 innings/start in '03 and '04.
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

Postby donny23 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:52 am

If ever a thread screamed about why everyone here is a fantasy baseball owner and not real life GM, this is the one. ESPN and fantasy baseball have rotted some minds around here from looking at real TEAM baseball.

Let's look at the yankees weaknesses:
1) poor defense, particularly CF and the outfield in general
2) lack of starting pitching depth (mainly through injury). With the Brown and Wright injuries, they have been forced to go with rookies in the #4 and #5 spots. While not being an ace, Wang has proved to be a very valuable part to the yankees team. He fills in at the #4 spot and can actually be considered their #3 right now behind RJ and Moose given Pavano's injury and lack of performance.
3) bullpen depth - compounded by their starting pitching problems (pavano's injury made Sturtze come from the bullpen to start a game which weakened the bullpen depth), the bullpen is not very deep after Gordon, Rivera and arguably Sturtze

Strengths:
1) offense
2) offense
3) offense

So let's see, the Yankees are very strong offensively, so how about they trade their two rookies, one of whom has been a very valuable middle of the rotation pitcher for Soriano, who solves none of their problems and just adds to their one and only strength. Sure, makes sense in fantasy world, where people would win 2-3 categories just by by trading for a guy like Soriano. Not real life though. The Yankees starting rotation would be:

RJ
Mussina
A Struggling and Injured Pavano
Henn (yes, I know, who?)
Another one of their rookies

Does ANYONE see that team winning consistently even if 9 reincarnations of Babe Ruth are at the plate for them? You can say "Oh, they can just trade for Burnett or Schmidt and their pitching is fine". Yeah, and you are the same guys saying the Yankees have no farm system and that Cano and Wang aren't worth Soriano. They will have no pieces left to trade for pitching because they will have made another trade giving away young guys in a short-sided move that doesn't evne solve their teams problems. They have struggled enough as it is with their starting pitching. They don't need to subtract from it.

As for the defense, Cano is more than capable on defense. The Yankees weaknesses on defense are basically all of the outfield positions and 1B with Giambi starting (Tino filling in for late inning defense makes that passable).

What does this trade solve for the Yankees? It doesn't make sense short-term OR long-term. Let's stop looking at the players involved and instead look at the TEAMS! Realistically, the trade from a TEAM standpoint makes more sense for the Rangers despite the NAME of the players involved. Soriano is at the end of his contract and they can bring in a very capable 2nd baseman and a middle of the rotation starter to add depth to their pitching staff. They know Soriano is unlikely to come back so they might as well bring in some young talent, particularly pitching, in return. I'm not saying it is ideal for them, but it makes more sense from them than it does for the Yankees.
donny23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers