Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rangers give Soriano for Wang and Cano? Yanks Say No

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby unclepaulie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:27 am

Womack for Clemens???? Y not?

HA HA HA HA HA
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:14 pm

unclepaulie wrote:Womack for Clemens???? Y not?

HA HA HA HA HA

Dude, I don't know if you realize it or not but all you do is hate on the Yankees. As a Yankee fan, I expect to get some hate but every post you make is derogetory towards them. Is it too much to ask for you to post something that has relavence and can help the discussion? This has to be the third or fourth thread in just the past few days where I've seen some stupid comment from you.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby The Roto Authority » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:30 pm

jiminez is better than cano right now...
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

Postby unclepaulie » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:21 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
unclepaulie wrote:Womack for Clemens???? Y not?

HA HA HA HA HA

Dude, I don't know if you realize it or not but all you do is hate on the Yankees. As a Yankee fan, I expect to get some hate but every post you make is derogetory towards them. Is it too much to ask for you to post something that has relavence and can help the discussion? This has to be the third or fourth thread in just the past few days where I've seen some stupid comment from you.

The only thing "stupid" i've seen the last couple of days is Yankee trash for Soriano.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby nsulham » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:27 pm

Just felt the compulsion to stick up for my fantasy 2B.

Yes Cano's hitting .292 compared to Sori's .280 but that's also in 100+ fewer ABs. If they were even in the AB category those averages would probably be darn close, which they pretty much are now.

I don't think badly of Cano at all but I also don't think Sori's nearly as bad as some are making him out to be.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:33 pm

The Roto Authority wrote:jiminez is better than cano right now...

How do you figure? Jimenez is 27, and has only played one full season, last year and Cano's numbers are better given the number of games he's played.

This season its not even close. Jimenez has only played 35 games to Cano's 51, but compare a few of these numbers

Cano- 22 yrs old
.293 29 6 26

Jimenez- 27 yrs old
.229 14 0 5

Jimenez is a career .267 hitter, only good enough to log 1 full year in the majors by age 27. His one full year came at age 26, his numbers were an unimpressive:
.270 76 12 67
And he's not even going to be able to repeat those mediocre numbers this season.

I hope you were joking.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:45 pm

nsulham wrote:Just felt the compulsion to stick up for my fantasy 2B.

Yes Cano's hitting .292 compared to Sori's .280 but that's also in 100+ fewer ABs. If they were even in the AB category those averages would probably be darn close, which they pretty much are now.

I don't think badly of Cano at all but I also don't think Sori's nearly as bad as some are making him out to be.

In fantasy he's a stud. Yet in real life, he's not a complete stud. Too many K's and awful defense. Getting him 5 months earlier than when he's a FA is not worth losing Cano OR Wang forever. Those 5 months sooner simply aren't worth it. Obviously Soriano is a very talented player but his play does not translate well to the needs of the New York Yankees right now. Getting older, getting more expensive, becoming worse on defense and having yet another power slugger are all things this team needs to avoid doing. Role players were huge parts of the championship teams, and Cano does just that, filling the 2 spot that the team has had so much trouble filling since the end of the Knoblauch era.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby The Roto Authority » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:49 pm

jimenez vs. cano:

comparable power and fielding numbers, better on-base % for jimenez. i'd like to see what he can do in a new setting. just an opinion, it is good to see the yanks playing someone young so cano is not a bad choice.
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Papi » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:59 pm

The Yankees don't need Soriano for all the reasons stated. They can just get him in the offseason, trading for him NOW does not mean they will make the playoffs and win the World Series. If anything their chances will be worse with the trade since they need PITCHING, not a power hitter. By trading away Wang, who is their #4, and is doing pretty decent thus far, they will have a collapse in the rotation. Even if Randy and Pavano get it going, Moose and whoever fills in the #4 spot are not a guaranteed bet, and will be ridiciulously inconsistent. Initially I bet this trade would put the Yanks on a short little winning streak, just b/c of change and a little shot in the arm with the return of Soriano, kindof a mental boost. But after that fades, the same ol' Yankees will return and everyone will be scratching their heads wondering why the trade didn't work.

Now hypothetically if the Yanks DID do this trade AND also made another trade where they got Burnett or Schmidt, then I would be more in favor of doing it. But their is no indiciation that will happen, so they made the right move by staying young.

This coming from a Tigers fan %-6
The Big Papi
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Roto Authority » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:02 pm

yeah, i agree on keeping cano and wang just on the basis of having some affordable, ok players on the roster. but this is the yankees, and ok is sometimes not ok with them. if they could snag burnett, i would like their playoff chances more.
The Roto Authority
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers